lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #11
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Battery Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
How often do you charge the batteries? Do you have an actual voltage gauge? Not the bar type, one that reads with numbers. You can get one on Amazon for under 10 bucks that will tell a lot more of the story than the dumb bar graphs.

I’d check the water. Make sure it goes about 1/2” above all the plates. Put it on the charger until it shuts off. The disconnect the charger and wait 12 hours, check the voltage at that time of the entire pack. Let’s make sure they’re charging all the way and holding like they should before spending thousands of dollars. Start with the basics…

It should read 50.9 volts or better after sitting 12 hours.
I use my cart almost daily and I charge it every time I get home... I just keep it plugged in. I don't have a voltage gauge.
Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

This is incorrect. Fully charged is actually not good for Lithium cells. THey last longer if you keep them between 20% and 80% charge. I play three rounds of golf between charges on mine and they are at about 25% SOC when I put them on charge. I don't charge until they need it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
I use my cart almost daily and I charge it every time I get home... I just keep it plugged in. I don't have a voltage gauge.
You need to get one of these for your dash. The bar type are useless, you will get use to seeing the voltages and will see immediately when something is up with your batteries.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Since my lead acid batteries can't reliably get more than 18 holes, I'm going to replace them with lithium. When you purchase lithium batteries, do they come with a reliable read-out that you can install in your dash or is that a separate purchase?
Old 10-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
LouBinWNC
Not Yet Wild

I used ReLion, direct replacement. Went with 2 48v which were easy to install and came with a SOC meter. If you have light kits etc you will need a voltage reducer installed.

That said if you can find a shop that will replace with LiON then them do it so you you have support if you are not good with wiring etc…
LouBinWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBinWNC View Post
I used ReLion, direct replacement. Went with 2 48v which were easy to install and came with a SOC meter. If you have light kits etc you will need a voltage reducer installed.

That said if you can find a shop that will replace with LiON then them do it so you you have support if you are not good with wiring etc…
Cool, thanks for the reply. Question though, you mention you installed two 48v batteries yet someone else earlier in the thread said I only need one. What does two give you... longer run time?
Old 10-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #17
LouBinWNC
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
Cool, thanks for the reply. Question though, you mention you installed two 48v batteries yet someone else earlier in the thread said I only need one. What does two give you... longer run time?
ReLion has the form factor of lead acid batteries so the more batteries you add the more run time. The suggest starting with two and adding if you need more runtime.

We are very hilly, I get about 2.5 miles for 10% of the charge.
LouBinWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

That was my comment about only needing one 48v battery.

Run time depends solely on the Ah rating. So one 48v 100Ah battery will give you the same run time as two 48v 50Ah batteries.

Having said that, I still stand by my comment that one battery sized to your needs is better than two smaller ones, for many reasons that I’ve explained before.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBinWNC View Post

Are these two 48V 50mAh?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #20
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where you live, a hill is very hard to find. This said, a single 48 volt, 72 Ah Eco Battery (BGW sponsor) will give you 30 to 35 miles easily.

Mine can stretch out to 35 to 40 miles without much problem. Again, no hills, and a throttle response set at 35% so no fast starts which eat up ampere-hours quickly.

I am averaging a DOD of 1.46 Ah per mile. With approximately 52 Ah safe range, this calculates to 35+ miles. This has been confirmed in 12 runs ranging from 8 to 26 miles.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car