lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question lithium charger voltage adjustment question

Lithium 58.8v 15amp charger

Opened my charger up and can't figure out which of the FOUR(4) pots to adjust to lower the voltage. Both the top and the bottom of the inside of the charger looks almost identical other than the top has the ac plug and negative negative output and the bottom has the positive output dc. There are four pots, two on each board top and bottom.

I am not sure which way to turn them, clockwise or counter-clockwise, but have tried each one and only saw a bit of change on the top picture top pot. It seemed to lower it only to 58.4 from the original 58.8. I did not have the charger connected to the battery pack when I did this. I did it disconnected and checked the anderson plug positive and negative.
I have seen others, but none seemed to look the same as this one.
Any assistance is appreciated. When disconnected and plugged in, I get a green light. When I had it hooked up to the battery pack, I got a red light and it DID charge. I just didn't want it to continue to charge it to the max. I want to lower it to somewhere around 56v or whatever is advised as a safe voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom.jpg (103.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg top.jpg (101.9 KB, 0 views)
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: lithium charger voltage adjustment question

I don't know what charger you have. I would ask the manufacturer for info on how to adjust the voltage. I assume you have Lipo cells (14S) if you are using max voltage of 58.8V My charger was set to 58.8V when I got it - and I dialed it down to about 57V. I had to try the pots on mine too to find out which one changed the open circuit voltage.
I marked them before adjusting because I don't know what all of them do. It's not the same as yours so my info won't help you. You are correct to adjust it open circuit. That should be the final voltage it will charge to. One of the other pots probably sets the charge current when in full current charge mode. That one would change the current when charging if the battery isn't near final voltage yet. No clue what the other pots do.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you.
It's a YZPower-450 but that doesn't seem to help me much. All I get is that it is Chinese and they make several versions with the same name.
I had assumed (bad idea) that I would turn the counter clockwise to begin with, but I had almost no turn before it stopped. It seemed to go down just a bit when I tightened it to the max. But only on one that got it down to 58.4 . Maybe it won't go down?
I am not an expert or even an amateur electronic tech. but I have never seen anything like this where there is a circuit board on the top and the bottom that look exactly the same, other than where there is a positive output on one and a negative on the other in the same location, plus an AC input on the one board. It works though.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Did you try tweaking the other pots a bit? Carefully mark them before moving them so you can put them back where they were. It's possible that they don't give you much adjustment range - designed to be tweaked to exactly 58.8Volts.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Did you try tweaking the other pots a bit? Carefully mark them before moving them so you can put them back where they were. It's possible that they don't give you much adjustment range - designed to be tweaked to exactly 58.8Volts.
I think you are right on that. I didn't get much change when I tweaked the other pots. I found one that moved it a bit but maxed turns.
Thanks for giving me your thoughts on it. If I can't find a solution to it, I may just have to put a timer on it. It is supposed to change from a red led to a green led once it achieves the top charge, but I don't want a full 58.8v charge, in an attempt to make these Nissan Leaf last longer.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You really do want to reduce it some if possible. I would leave it at your lower voltage that you got. At 58.8V, the battery has to be perfectly balanced to not over-charge some cells since max cell voltage is 4.2 Volts. Otherwise, you are relying on your BMS to limit the charge and you won't get a proper charge. You really want to have the charger taper down the current at the final voltage rather than have it shut off abruptly.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

I reconnected the charger to the battery and let it charge. I must have lowered the amps some because it no longer heats up, and the BMS did not get warm either. However, it finished charging to 58.7v and automatically shut off, leaving only a green led lit.
I have to think about my options. I still want to reduce the voltage to give it some longevity and also make it more safe. I am happy that it did not heat up this time.
I am still searching the Internet for information on how to reduce the voltage in that charger. I am sure there must be a way of reducing it, since there are FOUR(4) pots in it.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Interesting. Two days after charging my Nissan Leaf 14s battery pack dropped down to 56.7v. I left the charger (unplugged) connected to the battery pack. I've had that battery pack sitting on the bench for about three years with very little loss. Maybe this is a fluke and when I charge it again, it will stay put for a longer time.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would measure the current draw to your charger when it's off. Also - to your BMS. Those Leaf cells should sit at the same voltage for months or longer if there is no drain on them. I never leave my charger hooked up when it's turned off and I wouldn't trust it to not drain the battery if I did.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I would measure the current draw to your charger when it's off. Also - to your BMS. Those Leaf cells should sit at the same voltage for months or longer if there is no drain on them. I never leave my charger hooked up when it's turned off and I wouldn't trust it to not drain the battery if I did.
The reason for leaving the charger hooked up was that I had intended to leave it in the golf cart so that all that would be needed would be to connect a common extension cord to the cart to charge it. Now, I am concerned that the charger may/may(?) draw some voltage from the battery pack. Not being an electronic tech or expert, I still thought that there would be some sort of diode or rectifier in line that would preclude the power from coming back in via the power out line. Just wondering. Maybe it would not know when to shut down automatically upon achieving it's predetermined charge?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha