lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 96 Club Car bone stock want to do 3" lift and possibly upgrade motor+. HELP

The more I read on the topic the more I am confused.

96 club car stock everything with brand new batteries. I do want to do a 3" lift as it's an off road cart (nothing crazy) as we live on an acreage.

I know I don't have a precedent (I have a DS) and I don't seem to have a OBC as I don't have that stainless box behind my batteries but I could be wrong. My serial number has one letter supporting a DS (A9617).

I look at motors and become more cross eyed the more I look. Do I need to replace only the motor or do I need the controller too? Do I or Should I go DC to AC? Too many options to know what I "need to do".

Not looking for a crazy cart. Juat like to tinker and want a cart better suited for the terrain (more torque).

Simplified answers will help. Google just seems to give too much info without explaining why you don't need this or that and why you need to add this if you add that.

Thank you all
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #2
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 Club Car bone stock want to do 3" lift and possibly upgrade motor+. HELP

Is it 36 or 48 volt cart? The 36 volt carts don't have an OBC and usually have toaster oven looking coils directly behind the battery bank. If it's 36 volt then upgrading to 48 will gain more torque and speed. If ur just looking mainly for torque then stick with a dc motor. I believe ac motor are better suited for on road or flat turf. Upgrading to a high torque motor and high amp speed controller will get what u need. If u upgrade the controller then ur going to need at least 2 gauge or 4 gauge battery cables depending on how many amp controller ur running.
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car bone stock want to do 3" lift and possibly upgrade motor+. HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballBeast View Post
Is it 36 or 48 volt cart? The 36 volt carts don't have an OBC and usually have toaster oven looking coils directly behind the battery bank. If it's 36 volt then upgrading to 48 will gain more torque and speed. If ur just looking mainly for torque then stick with a dc motor. I believe ac motor are better suited for on road or flat turf. Upgrading to a high torque motor and high amp speed controller will get what u need. If u upgrade the controller then ur going to need at least 2 gauge or 4 gauge battery cables depending on how many amp controller ur running.
It's a 48volt and doesn't have an OBC from what I can tell. I just didn't know if I could just add a motor or did I have to upgrade everything.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

OBC has a black wire from the negative main pack on the driver side going into a yellow looking square attached to a metal box. What kind of charger do u have? If it's a power drive charger then u have OBC. Either way the OBC only controls the charging.

Yea u can just upgrade to a high torque motor but I believe it might be slightly cheaper to upgrade to high amp controller. The controller controls the amps going to motor so u may not get the performance u want without both motor and controller upgrade. Also by adding a lift kit with bigger tires will cause u to lose torque but gain top speed. Small tire equal more torque Bigger tires will add top speed.

It all depends on what ur looking to achieve and how much u have to spend. Unfortunately upgrading golf carts aren't cheap. Motors tend to cost around 600+ controllers can be 300+ all depends on how much power u want
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Before anyone can give any accurate type of guidance they’d need to know exactly what you’re working on. Otherwise it’s just assumptions based on what you think you might have, based on a very vague description. This is probably why you have not gotten many responses at all. Pictures would help.

If there’s no OBC then it has either already been modified somehow or a 36 volt resistor cart (which maybe has had 48v batteries installed). Pictures of the battery bay, as well as through the access/service hole towards the front of the cart from behind would help. There’s a “wall” between the batteries and the motor that has electronic stuff mounted on it. It would be helpful to know what is on that wall.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Before anyone can give any accurate type of guidance they’d need to know exactly what you’re working on. Otherwise it’s just assumptions based on what you think you might have, based on a very vague description. This is probably why you have not gotten many responses at all. Pictures would help.

If there’s no OBC then it has either already been modified somehow or a 36 volt resistor cart (which maybe has had 48v batteries installed). Pictures of the battery bay, as well as through the access/service hole towards the front of the cart from behind would help. There’s a “wall” between the batteries and the motor that has electronic stuff mounted on it. It would be helpful to know what is on that wall.

It's a 48volt cart. Ther is no access panel like all the youtube videos. I also don't have that metal wall you mention so no picture would help. I do yellow box way underneath so if the other poster is correct I do have an OBC. Either way the fundamental question should be the same about what needs to be upgraded. The other commenter seemed to answer it.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballBeast View Post
OBC has a black wire from the negative main pack on the driver side going into a yellow looking square attached to a metal box. What kind of charger do u have? If it's a power drive charger then u have OBC. Either way the OBC only controls the charging.

Yea u can just upgrade to a high torque motor but I believe it might be slightly cheaper to upgrade to high amp controller. The controller controls the amps going to motor so u may not get the performance u want without both motor and controller upgrade. Also by adding a lift kit with bigger tires will cause u to lose torque but gain top speed. Small tire equal more torque Bigger tires will add top speed.

It all depends on what ur looking to achieve and how much u have to spend. Unfortunately upgrading golf carts aren't cheap. Motors tend to cost around 600+ controllers can be 300+ all depends on how much power u want
Thank you so I guess I do have an OBC. Watched tons of videos and all DS's have a metal compartment between the batteries and motor which I dont have. I do have the yellow box though so thank you. I'm looking for torque mainly. The more I look I'm just gonna get a whole dC upgrade kit.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver86 View Post
. The other commenter seemed to answer it.
Just trying to help buddy. Hate trying to give advice without knowing exactly what you’re dealing with and your description is less than specific… Parts are expensive and if it turned out to be a 36v cart someone put 48v batteries in, you’d spend a lot of money on incompatible parts. It’s not hard to upgrade a 36v cart to 48v, and very common to do. Good luck.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #9
cstarky15
Not Yet Wild

I would just post pictures. They always help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
cstarky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay so the subject is a 96 48v stock cart and you want a 3 inch lift with I assume 22" tires? Main use is off road on acreage (nothing crazy).
22 inch tires reduce torque by around 20%. The stock 1996 3.5 hp motor is nothing to write home about and now 26 years old so looking for a motor upgrade is a good idea given the increase in workload and the service already provided by the motor... unless you want to send it out for a refresh, see PQ motors. Otherwise the most popular motor for this cart is the Admiral A1 10 hp torque motor.
Generally a bigger motor will need access to more amperage to make the more power promised. Often getting the big motor first is equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot. So upgrade the supply line before calling for more power.
The battery supply (amperage) flows through every basic component in the drive system on its way from battery to motor. All of these components need to be upgraded or you will leave a bottleneck in the flow and that will cause heat and failure at that point.
To run a bigger motor or even to better supply an existing motor upgrade the following:
Controller
Solenoid
F&R switch
13 pieces making up the high amperage cable set
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car