lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 Ezgo 2 stroke Good in reverse bad in forward

Got my 82 ezgo 2 stroke going. It's strong on initial take off but after just a few seconds it sounds like it is choking down, it will go but very slow and weak. I thought it was the muffler, so I did the "muffler BBQ," didn't seem to help. So, I took the carb off and cleaned the jets according to another post. Checked the fuel pump by giving throttle without the fuel line hooked up. Nice steady flow. I put the carb back on and with rear end jacked up ran it without muffler. Seemed to be running perfectly. I put muffler back on and lowered it down and it went back to the same thing, so I took muffler back off, no change. Then I noticed while running in reverse it ran perfectly good torque and speed. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length tried to paint a picture for you.
Thanks!!!!
Brad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 Ezgo 2 stroke Good in reverse bad in forward

Picture painted.

Here is a test, with the rear end jacked up and someone running the engine at a brisk speed spray some WD40 right on the crankshaft where it comes out of the engine behind the clutch (take care doing this). If the engine speed increases or the engine note changes you have worn seals. What tends to happen is that as the engine spends 99.9% of its time in forward the seals wear into a pattern. When you are in reverse the seals snug up and seal the crankcase better.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave. It will be a few days before I can get back to work on it but I will try that. If that is it, is it a crankshaft oil seal that I will need to get?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If that is the case you will need two crankshaft oil seals, the one in the front is hidden by the flywheel and cannot be tested this way however if the rear is worn so will the front. The good news is that the parts are less than $10. The bad news is that it can be a tedious job. That said there are about 50 guys here who have done it and all of them are ready to help you out with practical advice.

Dave
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

I think that's the problem. Now I will order some seals. I just need some help swapping them out.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

OK Brad whenever you are ready shout out and the 2 stroke crew will be there for you.

Dave
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Crank up the ''A'' team theme music!!!!!!!!!!!!
islandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

I'm ready to do this. Got my seals today.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You are going to need a set of metric wrenches, a clutch puller tool and a cheap two arm steering wheel puller. You will also need a can of PB Blaster. You can either buy the clutch tool at $40 or make one for $5. To make the tool you will need a 3/4 inch hard steel fine thread bolt 2 inches long and a 9/16ths steel rod 3 inches long. You will also need two 6 mm bolts the length of which will depend on the design of your steering wheel puller.

The first step is to pull the engine. Have you done this before? If you need detailed steps let us know and we can walk you through it.

Dave
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Have never done this before. I'm going to need some step by step descriptive directions, please. It sounds pretty complicated so far and I haven't even got started yet. I want to learn how though.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO