lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
rdalley
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor is Shot Whats best??

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Love all the info. I have a 2004 G22E. It has the GE controller and the JU2-H1890-00 motor. I use it only for golf and need more speed. I was planning on an Alltrax controller and 4ga wire upgrade with the stock motor. As I was changing the cables the cable studs on the motor were so rusted and frozen up that one of them broke off and the others may have been damaged. So now I think I should replace the motor entirely.

I see high speed motors that advertise speeds of 20+ mph with stock controller. Am I better off replacing the motor with one of these motors and keeping the stock controller? I'm not really looking to trick out the cart, just get the speed I need.
rdalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor is Shot Whats best??

Welcome to BGW With the GE controller you have, it would be perfect to just change out the motor to a "high speed" replacement. As long as you don't have alot of hills.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
rdalley
Not Yet Wild

I have found several different High Speed replacements that advertise 20+ MPH but when I call they tell me this application is limited to about 19mph. Anyone have a suggestion or experience with a motor that will get over 20mph with everything else stock besides 4gau cables?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The tach sensor "snitches you out" to the controller that wants you going slow for safety reasons (AKA: Lawyers).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Honestly, I can't really tell the difference between 19 and 20 from the driver seat.
19 and 22 yes
22 mph is what you'll get with the stock motor on the new Alltrax XCT control
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock motor fried...... But, yes, a controller upgrade is the best/most reliable method of increasing speed & power all in one shot. Since the stock controller is not really made for bigger motors, now would be a good time to do the whole deal and come out as a much happier cart owner.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sad story to tell about the Alltrax controller (300 amp) I just installed friday. Would only reach 17 to 19. Had the unginers (nice guy's though) have me take a "picture" as I was running it. Said motor was drawing to many amps. Trusty Yamaha service update....(I'll get the number and part# if requested) new brush rig and brushes. Installed new parts...21 mph in a short distance (they wanted a reading in a 1/4 mile) I think the customer will be happy with the quickness/torque and speed Not all things are "cut and dry".
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's right, your results will vary
They probably figured it would take a qtr. mi. to get up to speed with a 300 a control - LOL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
rdalley
Not Yet Wild

So I contacted Electrical Motor Products, Inc in Ft. Wayne Indiana. They told me they could rebuild my stock motor to get me 19mph with stock controller. I asked if I could then upgrade to the Alltrax controller later and they told me that since the motor would be designed for the stock controller it would need some sort of rebuild to work with the new controller.

If the Alltrax works with a stock motor, why wouldn't it work with a rebuilt stock motor?

I was originally going to do the Alltrax upgrade but now that I need the new motor I don't really want to be $1000 into it for both a motor and controller just for my golf course only cart.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A few months back i purchased a high speed motor from EMP and now get 21-22 mph. Everything else is stock. Now I'm wanting 5 or so mph, so I'm going to run 4 gauge cables and get the xct 48400/solenoid from scottyb. I contacted EMP and they told me the xct would work fine with the motor, but not to exceed 6000 rpm. I'm hoping EMP gets back to me with the appropriate field map for the controller so i can pull the trigger. Not sure why it would work fine for my motor but not for you. My motor does not have the high speed banding.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha