lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 motor locking up/hard to push

Hello,

First and foremost, thanks for the add! I just recently bought a used Yamaha G22E and it's not in the greatest shape but it's fixable (I think). So with tow/run switch on TOW the cart is harder to push, almost as if it doesn't want to move at all. If you nudge it forward or backwards I can hear something clicking in and out. From what I researched so far, it sounds like the solenoid. I had to order a of keys for it because the seller lost them. Which is why I haven't been able to test it any further. I just found it odd that in RUN it will roll onto the trailer just fine but in TOW it locks up almost immediately. I'm a newb to golf carts but I am mechanically inclined. I'm looking for help from you golf cart experts on what is a good starting point knowing now what symptoms I have experienced so far. Thanks in advance!
DubBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 motor locking up/hard to push

I think the tow/run switch must be flipped... It is supposed to do what you describe when in run, so if you hop off to hit your ball, and fail to latch the brake, it doesn't go careening into the water hazard at full speed out of control.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I think the tow/run switch must be flipped... It is supposed to do what you describe when in run, so if you hop off to hit your ball, and fail to latch the brake, it doesn't go careening into the water hazard at full speed out of control.
I appreciate your response. I told you incorrectly. It does in fact roll freely in tow but not run. So it's intended to do that? Good to know. I've had it hooked up to the charger for about 6 hours now and once complete I hope to start troubleshooting to see what exactly is wrong with it. The guy I got it from said it stopped running so he replaced the beaters and still nothing. He got fed up and sold it to me for cheap. So I'd like to get it back up and going for when we go camping.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

So I got the cart jacked up and I hit the pedal and get nothing at all. I tested the closet positive post to the furthest negative post and get wacked reading. They jump around like crazy. Same thing when testing the controller. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Ok, I think you first need to get a different meter to try. something is wrong with the readings you are getting, and "at rest" batteries don't jump around.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ok, I think you first need to get a different meter to try. something is wrong with the readings you are getting, and "at rest" batteries don't jump around.

Thanks for the reply. My fieldpiece meter is fine. I do HVAC work for a living and just used it earlier today. Besides all that I tried testing the batteries again and ended up with the same result. Testing battery one I have 4 volts. Once I test battery 1 positive post to battery 6 negative post I get readings that are all over the place. It may sound strange but that is what's happening. I've read numerous post on the forums and haven't had any luck finding my answer. A buddy told me I should replace the solenoid but I don't want to be a parts changer. I'd like to troubleshoot it. What would be your first suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

So now I got up and running! I do have one last question. I hear buzzing from the rear motor compartment while driving. Is that normal?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Does it sound like bees buzzing, or a high frequency sound? Some of the early Trombetta solenoids made a "bees buzzing" sound, it could be annoying, but it never hurt anything. I usually just isolated them on rubber mounts & went on with life.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Just buzzing. It turns off once I come to a stop or turn the ignition off. I guess it's normal. You wouldn't believe what the culprit was! A 9V battery was wedged underneath the pedal and it was not allowing the pedal to fully come back up and hit that switch. Once I removed it, it was rolling! Still in disbelief.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
DubBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Tags
g22, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha