lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Yamaha2000r6
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 G29 not charging

I’m new to gas carts and have been doing as much reading as possible. My just got new to me g29 got where it wouldn’t start. I checked the battery and it was 9 volts. Pulled it out to charge and it looked like the original so I purchased a new battery. Problem solved. Well I got to thinking maybe I should double check the charging system. I put the selector in neutral and with the engine running I’m only showing 11.8 volts at the battery. Shouldn’t it be 13-14? Not sure what to check from here. Help appreciated
Yamaha2000r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2013 G29 not charging

Probably the voltage regulator but to make sure pull the rear access panel in the bag tell unhook the green wire coming out of the starter generator run a jumper wire from the green wire that goes into started generator straight to battery ground and check voltage while running in nueatral like you previously did if it jumps up to 17 volts this confirms starter generator is still performing as it should and voltage regulator is bad... On the black rail that runs acrossed in this access panel there will be a silver inch by inch block this is the voltage regulator with a clip going into it and two bolts holding it on buy a new oem regulator stay away from aftermarket
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Yamaha2000r6
Not Yet Wild

Alright thanks for that. I have it apart and I see a green wire but it’s in the same connector as a small red wire. So just unhook there and run the green to ground leave the red unhooked?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
HBR
Gone Wild

Are you checking voltage at idle or with the RPMs over 2K?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Check the wires going into the voltage regulator connector from the wire harness into the AVR. There maybe a broken wire. Yamaha has a "fix" connector for that.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
Yamaha2000r6
Not Yet Wild

Voltage on the governor was 11.9. I’ll check the wires tomorrow. The guy I bought it from did say he just put s new voltage regulator on it off amazon. So that may be the issue
Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Very likely aftermarket electrical parts arnt worth it they are cheap
Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Probably the voltage regulator but to make sure pull the rear access panel in the bag tell unhook the green wire coming out of the starter generator run a jumper wire from the green wire that goes into started generator straight to battery ground and check voltage while running in nueatral like you previously did if it jumps up to 17 volts this confirms starter generator is still performing as it should and voltage regulator is bad... On the black rail that runs acrossed in this access panel there will be a silver inch by inch block this is the voltage regulator with a clip going into it and two bolts holding it on buy a new oem regulator stay away from aftermarket
Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't you just test voltage at the green wire? Why would you have to jump it to the batt to test voltage? I'd think you would have 17VDC or whatever at that wire itself unless it has to see a load before it goes high?

I just don't like the idea of jumping wires... gets a lot of folks into trouble.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Your voltage regulator works by alternately grounding and ungrounding the green wire from your st/gen. When the green wire is shorted to ground the st/gen field is energized and field current flows causing the st/gen to supply current to the battery. The rising voltage at the battery causes the voltage regulator to unground the green wire and de-energize the field. Current to the battery now ceases to flow causing a reduction in battery voltage. This action then repeats, and it all happens again, only at a fairly fast rate when you are running the cart.

What we are doing when applying full field is shorting the green wire to ground to apply full field current (full time). This does cause the battery voltage to go to 15-17 volts so should not be done for an extended time (just long enough to get a voltage reading). If you do get the high 15-17 volts at the battery with full field, you can be pretty sure that the st/gen is ok and the regulator might be the problem.

It's a simple test to determine stater generator is working properly I'm a firm believer in fix what's broke not throw parts at it until problem is solved
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

gotcha thanks for the info :) Wasn't sure what the function of the wire was that you're jumping to ground, never know until you ask the question!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha