lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
58vette
Not Yet Wild

Default Led Lighting issue

Hi all , first post here
I am building a 1996 freedom hp , I just got it back from paint and starting to put it back together. It came with factory lights and turn signals, I bought a GLW LED upgrade kit which included a new harness. As I don’t need the harness I tried just replacing the lights with the new led’s but they would not come on . All lights worked previously and wiring checks out with schematic and volt meter. The led lights work fine hooked up straight to a battery but will only work with the polarity reversed when hooking it up to existing harness. It’s driving me nuts trying to figure this out. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and can help me out. I am going to get an led flasher to replace the old one tomorrow if I can find one locally, don’t know if that will fix it but hopefully it will.
I am adding new seats , rear sets , 12” wheels and new low pro tires, new floor mat, shifter ,steering wheel and probably some tunes.
Thanks , will get some pics up when I get this light thing figured out.
58vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Led Lighting issue

To BGW. The reverse polarity thing is beyond my pay grade. Others will chime in and help you.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

BTW. I think a lot of us in here would love to see a photo of your 58 vette!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Naz24car
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I’d hook the new harness up to your batteries ( not installed in the cart) and see if the set works,I’m assuming this kit has plugs on the lights and harness. If so , match it to your existing harness to see if the polarity is the same for the light to work(plug for plug)If not l would take the time to put the harness that goes with new lights. Does this harness have the turn signals too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naz24car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Also above my pay grade but my first hunch is you need to use the harness that came with the lights
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Naz24car
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Led Lighting issue

LED....light emitting diode....diodes are polarity sensitive , will only allow current flow in one direction...anode to cathode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naz24car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24car View Post
LED....light emitting diode....diodes are polarity sensitive , will only allow current flow in one direction...anode to cathode
That's exactly it. You could rewire all your new lights to work with the old harness, or swap in the new harness that came with the kit. I would (and have) swap the harness.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
58vette
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys ,
I will wire in the new harness today besides the cart to see if all works before installing in cart. The whole polarity thing is just crazy as it works with the correct polarity straight to a battery and the existing harness polarity is also correct, the old bulbs still work correctly but the new led’s have to be reversed with the old harness, must be some kind of bleed through with the ground that is not enough to affect the bulbs but screws with the leds.
Thanks again for the input , now out to the garage and see what happens.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
58vette
Not Yet Wild

Solved problem, someone previously had reversed the wires going to the fuse panel , although everything appeared to be working correctly it was backwards which explains wh y the led’s had to be reversed, as a side note it also fixed my fuel gauge which was also reading backwards.
Again Thanks for all the help ! Will post pics soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO