lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Suggestion

I had someone bring me a cart asking me to see if I could get it to fire.

I told him no but it ended up in my door anyway. Long story

This cart is a 2005 model workhorse and it had the 11 hp robbin MCI engine.

Someone before me took a 1995 9 hp removed from a junked out TXT and installed it. They told me the 11 MCI engine had been stolen. I am not even sure this older engine is good or not.

The person before me had tried to get it to fire using the newer style ignitor and coil that came from the factory. . It's not going to work using that and I don't want to start cutting wires to install the older ignitor and coil.

I think the flywheels were different on MCI vs Pre-MCI and maybe pulser coils? I remember installing a few new MCI engines back years ago in older carts that had the pre-mci and had to change muffler, ignitor, wiring harness and coil I think to make them work

Anyone ever run into a change over like this ? and what is the best way to make it fire without a lot of work. I know I could wire it like the older ones were and probably make it fire but I don't have spare parts laying around. I have thought about trying to locate and 2005 flywheel . Not sure it would work on the pre mci engine or not. I am calling him tomorrow and probably telling him to come get it. I got better things to do with my time than start trying to make things work and not even sure after I did this engine is any good anyway.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Suggestion

WOW, that sounds like a big mess that you could end up with a lot of time in for nothing!

Think I would strongly suggest just getting the correct engine.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Gearhead1956 I could probably make it work but after looking at it again this morning there is no way I am touching it. I pushed the gas pedal and the throttle does not work yet it is connected. They did use the older muffler that came from the junked out cart.

Finding a used MCI engine is probably hard to find. I think EZGO went to the Kawasaki in 2008 so its been over 10 years now since these were used.

The bad thing is I looked also this AM and noticed the wires going to coil had been cut and the older coil installed. What a mess. No way for me. Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

yea, probably the easiest, best way to mess with it would be to just pull the components and start from scratch. Then not knowing if the engine is any good.

Being an 05 it should be worth doing with the correct or new engine.

Good Luck
Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Do you know if they used a different flywheel in the MCI engines ? I thought they changed them. The person that was trying to get this thing to fire was using the older pre- mci coil and 2005 mci ignitor .

I would have probably thought the same thing if I had not worked at a golf course when all these changes took place.

I am in Ala so I can send it your way if you say so
Old 12-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have know idea!

My only experience with carts are older ones I have pick up cheep (junk) and put back together just for fun.

but if he wants to sell it cheep I may be interested just to play with.

But I suppose if that was the case you would buy it. Maybe you should hit him with that. By the time he pays some one for their time and parts, he may have more in it then its worth.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I know in the service manual it says the fan/flywheel are different for years with the 350 engine, I woul assume the 295 is the same. I dont remember specifics but there is a year break. Mine (2007) the flywheel is part of the fan. The other style I believe they are separate and have a different holding tool to remove it.

Sounds like a real mess. Shame you dont have a way to run the engine before determining if it's any good or not. I have an 07 MCI with funky oil pressure, you KNOW you've been itching to dig into lol
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
I have know idea!

My only experience with carts are older ones I have pick up cheep (junk) and put back together just for fun.

but if he wants to sell it cheep I may be interested just to play with.

But I suppose if that was the case you would buy it. Maybe you should hit him with that. By the time he pays some one for their time and parts, he may have more in it then its worth.
Gearhead1956,
Yes, you are right. I would buy it but not sure he will sell it. That way I would have time to find the right engine. I still have a few connections. I know where one is still in box new that a co-worker of mine paid $750 back in when we were working.

It is new from ez-go. He bought it in case his ever blew up in his workhorse plus it was one heck of a deal. This is the complete engine with muffler , ignitor and coil with wire harness so his old ignitor will plug in to this new one .

He has had it over 10 years I know and he will will never use it. I just got to call him and see if he would sell it. I should have bought one myself but at the time I didn't see me ever working on these things again.

Here I am working again at almost age 72 and don't plan on stopping again
Old 12-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I know in the service manual it says the fan/flywheel are different for years with the 350 engine, I woul assume the 295 is the same. I dont remember specifics but there is a year break. Mine (2007) the flywheel is part of the fan. The other style I believe they are separate and have a different holding tool to remove it.

Sounds like a real mess. Shame you dont have a way to run the engine before determining if it's any good or not. I have an 07 MCI with funky oil pressure, you KNOW you've been itching to dig into lol
YES, Lets get this thing of yours going CP241
I could make it fire but don't want to start cutting wires because then I would be obligated to do the job.
I am retired and only do this so I don't get bored in retirement. I own a nice shop and it sit empty for 20 years . I originally came back here to do repairs on my shop and next thing I knew I got golf carts sitting everywhere. I got the shop almost back to the way it was 57 years ago, maybe better. I could actually live here now which I almost do anyway
Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I hear that. Once you touch it becomes your baby. Sometimes, even if you're just trying to help out a friend with a quick fix, I know how that goes! Which is generally why I won't work on anyone else's stuff. I do it for fun, at my speed. I call it my "self funding hobby". If I don't have time or feel like working on something, no harm no foul. If it takes me 6 months to get around to something, oh well. Deadlines and expectations = loss of "fun".

If you can buy it, may be a fun project, maybe make a few bucks off it. If not, I definitely wouldnt touch a mess like that on someone else's rig... that's asking for it to become a regular visitor when something else goes wrong lol
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO