lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
jeffr
Not Yet Wild

Default ag9651 club car intermittent spark

With no kill wire attached to the coil, the spark comes and goes. I have bought 2 coils and each one sparked for about 10 seconds then quit.Are these aftermarket coils any good. The origional one works intermittently. The car was built late enough in the year that is has the ignitor in it. What am i missing, from what I have read the rev limiter dosen't need to be hooked up for the engine to run.
Could the magnet be week enough to cause this , I have never see that happen. Although it seems ok.
This is a simple flywheel mag it's not that complicated. any ideas.
jeffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ag9651 club car intermittent spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr View Post
With no kill wire attached to the coil, the spark comes and goes. I have bought 2 coils and each one sparked for about 10 seconds then quit.Are these aftermarket coils any good. The origional one works intermittently. The car was built late enough in the year that is has the ignitor in it. What am i missing, from what I have read the rev limiter dosen't need to be hooked up for the engine to run.
Could the magnet be week enough to cause this , I have never see that happen. Although it seems ok.
This is a simple flywheel mag it's not that complicated. any ideas.
Extremely unlikely that the flywheel magnet is bad; why would it run at all if it were ? I have heard of bad coil / ignitor units faulty from the box, have you bought new ones ? Sent them back for replacement ? I know it's a PITA but have you tried a good known item from another cart ? After you lose spark, how long until it kicks in again ? Lots of ???? I know but it helps us help you.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

is the rev limitor connected? have you checked spark plug and boot......not often but i have seen them go bad.................theres nothing else there unless whoever you got the coils from got a bad batch and thats possible........have you tried getting a coil elsewhere.................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
jeffr
Not Yet Wild

Yes I bought 2 new ones from 2 different suppliers, I did not send them back or inquier to usely you can't return electrical parts. I haven't tried one from another cart but was thinking about it. The spark comes and goes from the origional coil. It will run for a bit then cut in and out kind of a pain when your trying to get back to the shop.
After trying the second coil without luck I reinstalled the original one replaced the kill micro hooked everything back up and ran it on the jack 3/4 throttle for 30 minutes without a problem, took it out and it died, it took me 20 minutes to get it back in, It would run 5 seconds then die all the way back.
It seem like when it gets hot the coil lays down.If they can spare one of the other cart's I might try a coil out of one of them, although I'm a little gun shy about messing with something that works.
I did hit some pretty good bumps before it quit the last time it almost acts like something is lose. but i don't that there is. probably just a coincidence.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr View Post
Yes I bought 2 new ones from 2 different suppliers, I did not send them back or inquier to usely you can't return electrical parts. I haven't tried one from another cart but was thinking about it. The spark comes and goes from the origional coil. It will run for a bit then cut in and out kind of a pain when your trying to get back to the shop.
After trying the second coil without luck I reinstalled the original one replaced the kill micro hooked everything back up and ran it on the jack 3/4 throttle for 30 minutes without a problem, took it out and it died, it took me 20 minutes to get it back in, It would run 5 seconds then die all the way back.
It seem like when it gets hot the coil lays down.If they can spare one of the other cart's I might try a coil out of one of them, although I'm a little gun shy about messing with something that works.
I did hit some pretty good bumps before it quit the last time it almost acts like something is lose. but i don't that there is. probably just a coincidence.
Not trying to be smart here but you do know about the maintenance mode don't you ? If you pull out the cam behind the shift lever and rotate it 180 degrees you can start you cart without jacking it up.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
jeffr
Not Yet Wild

No I don't know that, Thanks for the info, That will come in handy in the future.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

have you tried swapping out rev limitors? if not try swapping it out.................
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
jeffr
Not Yet Wild

It act's this way without the rev limiter hooked up too. ie bare coil open shroud,And after it acts up and dies I have unhooked the rev limiter and it still wont run.After thinking over the weekend i'm going to swap out a coil off one of the other carts.If this works it would mean the new coils are bad
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes it would my only concern is you have tried new coils from different stores and unless they all get thier coils from the same place.....know what i mean but its worth a shot cause lots of times i have seen new coils bad and in fact when i buy a coil for a cart i buy 2 of them just to eliminate waiting if i have to cause of a new bad coil........................
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
jeffr
Not Yet Wild

I have also got bad coils before, for automotive use, so its not that uncommon it know,But I have only been around golf carts for about 10 years and up till now I haven't had to work on them much. Didn't know in there were alot of bogus parts in the golf cart world.
If this works can I get a oem kawasaki coil somewhere.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car