lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
cmokinjoe
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 club car weak spark

I have a 92 gas club car I have replaced the coil and igniter using a light tester the light flashes as a would be spark when tured over. I have tried two new spark plugs and there is not enough spark to make them work. the brown wire from the rev limiter is disconected. do i need to spend $200.00 on a new rev limiter or does the fact that the test light lights up, do I have a different issue.

Thanks for your help

Smokin
cmokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 92 club car weak spark

welcome unless the new coil you got is bad and that happens...i think a fellow just went thur 3 new coils that were bad before he got one that worked....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
cmokinjoe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Shadowman, so you believe because the test light blinks sending a spark the coil is not putting out enough spark?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if it has weak spark thats enough to make it not start.......i just did one with weak spark this saturday it wanted to start but wouldn,t as soon as i got better spark it fired right up.......not being there its hard for me to tell but if your using a spark tester and your getting a regular indication from the tester light than it could be another issue.........your sure you have fuel to carb and good compression? if your tester is only lighting up every now and than yes spark is an issue.......and if you pulled the plug and grounded it against metel and turned motor over and can,t see spark at the plug again tes spark is the issue................have you tried plugging rpm limitor in? and is engine turning over fast enough ? ( good strong battery ) ..............................
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
cmokinjoe
Not Yet Wild

Shadowman,

Thank so much for the response, This is what I know 1. new coil, 2. new igniter, 3. rpm limiter Brown wire is disconeted from motor. I do not have a spark tester, what I am using is a light tester like you would use to see if you have contection on trailer lights. I have a battery charger on the battery so it turns over very well. when I turn the motor over with the light tester in the spark plug end of the coil and the tester hooked up to a ground on the cart the light goes on and off like a would be spark. when I place a spark plug in the hole and ground it to the motor no spark..

A. the fact that I am getting a would be spark does that mean I do not need to replace the RPM limiter ?

b. I'm not sure if the rpm limiter is either on or off or if it would let a little spark threw.

I will hang with you and let you know what in fact the problem is. I'm a motivated backyard mechanic but like I've read on here, the same runs true for me my better half is starting to raise her eyebrows................

Thanks
Smokin
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
cmokinjoe
Not Yet Wild

giving you guys an update

The new coil is out of the cart and a new one is on the way, I will let you know if it was a bad new coil, thanks for all of your help
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not familiar with type of tester you are using, 12 v test light ? but in order for the current to be sufficient to jump the 27 thou gap across the electrodes of a spark plug I would respectfully suggest the purchase of a dedicated spark tester. Cheap enough and easy to use. Just out of curiosity, how does your device handle a 20,000+ volt impulse without crashing out ? AND, 20 k volts is on the very low side of modern ignition systems without most are 45 k plus.
Good luck with the new coil

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stick a phillips screwdriver in the spark plug boot and hold the shaft of the screwdriver close to metal, but don't hold the shaft hold the handle and get the shaft close within 1/8" of the metal and turn the engine over you should see a spark. If not then start your diagnosis.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have never tried just a 12 volt tester and it may take much less to get that to light up so yes if you can get a dedicated spark tester they don,t cost much and start again with it.......something tells me your gonna find you have no spark.............i say that cause with several plugs grouned to motor its not there.......if rpm limitor isn,t hooked up than it should be out of the pic. cart will run without it for testing purposes only..............i,ll be gone for a few days so if i don,t respond its cause i,m at camp i,ll be back sunday..................good luck and post results and by the way your in good hands with cris and rose88.............................
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
cmokinjoe
Not Yet Wild

Chris,

Thanks for the reply...the 12v tester as just a way for me to see if I had any type of current going through other than grabbing the end of the wire with my hand. I beleive by seeing the light lite up the system is working but the new coil is not sending a strong enough one. The coil is on the way back to be replaced by a new one under warrantee... waiting on ups now..

Shadowman have a cold one for me while you are camping, Rose88 and Chris I will let you know when ups shows up with the new one until then I'm on a sit stay

Again thank for the help, chat soon

Hit'em Hard
Smokin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car