lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question G1 Yamaha - Rattling

Well, I have tried everything that I know of, so far. I have a stock Yamaha G1-AM4. Totally tuned up by Golf Cart mechanic, carburetor cleaned, new tires, new drive belt. It is definitely running better, but there is still a vibration (rattling) when traveling down hill or flat out. I took it back to the mechanic and he said it is now, most likely the governor taking over the speed control. He also said that it runs great, for the age of the cart and that I should just leave it alone. But, things like this annoy the heck out of me. Any ideas or opinions from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
lanesharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Yamaha - Rattling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesharon View Post
Well, I have tried everything that I know of, so far. I have a stock Yamaha G1-AM4. Totally tuned up by Golf Cart mechanic, carburetor cleaned, new tires, new drive belt. It is definitely running better, but there is still a vibration (rattling) when traveling down hill or flat out. I took it back to the mechanic and he said it is now, most likely the governor taking over the speed control. He also said that it runs great, for the age of the cart and that I should just leave it alone. But, things like this annoy the heck out of me. Any ideas or opinions from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Could be a few things. Check that the wheel lugs are tight, look at the tires as you are moving to see if one has a wobble or a flat spot. Inspect, clean and lube both clutches.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You will get a vibration at high speeds as the cogged belt bottoms in the secondary, it is more of a gear whine type sound that goes up/down with the speed of the cart. It will only happen at higher speeds beyond where the stock governor was set and when the belt is shifted all the way. But nothing should rattle I would look at the clutches first. They can also vibrate at higher rpm/speeds if the center bushings have play. The G1 is not the quietest cart to start with. Back when I ran ones that were nearly new at 20+mph the whole cart would hum on the drive belt....going a couple miles down a road with the governor disabled and wot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have been going through my manual and found an item that might be causing this. Remember, I put a new belt on, so anything that might have been adjusted for the older belt would be affected. In my manual, it discusses the 'engine bracket tensioner'. It says - " If the dumper is in contact with the rear arm bracket, the vibration will transfer to the seat, thus impairing riding comfort". That is what I felt the minute I put that belt on. So, I am going to check that gap and the newly installed tire wheels. Hopefully one of those two will give me an answer.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
brsmith
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Man you are lucky if you have a manual to your G1. I had to burn up the web to find out an any info that I needed. What year is your G1? My is a 82.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3666.jpg (226.9 KB, 11 views)
brsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Do you have broken motor mounts? Very common on these old buggies. There are 4, two in the front under the muffler, two in the back. Try lifting/prying up on each one to see if the rubber has ripped out of the steel mounts.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When i repaired my G1 the engine bracket tensioner was missing, the engine motor mounts where intact but the rubber was very cracked so i replaced all motor mounts and also the engine bracket tensioner. The cart is very smooth running now and starts off much better. The "dumper" they talk about in the manual is really a thick rubber washer which should absorb the engine vibrations as it reacts to the clutch. There is a clearance spec for it in the manual but basically it should not be tight when the engine is stopped and should tighten up as the engine is pulled back toward the secondary clutch when accelerating. Its difficult to adjust being under the muffler and i would advise putting the cart up on jack stands to adjust it from underneath. I found it easier to double nut the adjustment bolt rather than use a lock nut like they show in the parts book.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I checked the 'dumper' this morning. (I think that was a typo and should read damper, as in noise damper.) Also checked the motor mounts. All is okay.

I need to check the wheels and tires out, but I doubt that is my entire problem. I believe that I need to adjust the governor, but will wait until all else is checked out first. Decleration and downhill still causes that rattling noise.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Clutches are a large source of noises on carts, if the primary bushings get bad the whole outer part can wobble on the crank. Also the secondary can get bent or wobble, all the aluminum sheaves will eventually wear holes in them and tear the belt up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Clutches are a large source of noises on carts, if the primary bushings get bad the whole outer part can wobble on the crank. Also the secondary can get bent or wobble, all the aluminum sheaves will eventually wear holes in them and tear the belt up.
I hear a slamming noise when I go from reverse to drive and vice versa. Could that also be the clutch or is that a normal noise? All motor mounts were good and tension was good, so it isn't that.

Tags
g1-am4, rattling, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha