lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 Marathon Carb issue?

Just finished my project cart. Its an 87 gas Ezgo Marathon (2-stroke) with original size wheels/tires that I have completely rebuilt. I straightened the body as much as I could and installed an air suspension setup up that I designed and fabricated myself. I also completely rebuilt the 2PG from the crank up. All new bearings, gaskets, head, piston, rings, you name it... The oil pump has also been deleted. I have put about 15 miles on the engine at varied speeds since the rebuild and everything worked out great.

I took the cart to a car show this past weekend to show it off a little. Unfortunately, the cart only ran for about 30 minutes and then started acting up. AS I was driving, if felt like the engine was completely shut off like it wasn't getting fuel. I parked the cart to enjoy myself for a while and went back to it in about an hour. I got on and pressed the accelerator only to move about 5 feet before it bogged down and stopped moving. I then checked the plug to see if it had fouled. Thew plug was dry and had a slight brown color on the firing end. Figured it was not fouled. Still not running so I loaded the cart and took it home after the show.

Today, I took the carb off (its a brand new carb by the way) and disassembled it for a thorough cleaning. I found a little trash in the fuel bowl but not much anywhere else. I think this trash must have come from the fuel filter that at one point during the break-in rubbed on the drive belt and burnt a hole in it. I have since put a new filter on the fuel line. Anyway, I proceeded to get the carb sparkling clean inside and out .

After putting the carb back on, I tightened the "starter belt" up and took the cart for a spin. It fired right up and ran like a champ. However, my top speed couldn't be much more than 10mph. Could this still be a carb issue? It doesn't sputter or bog or anything since the carb cleaning, but this top speed is ridiculous. I know the 2pg motor isn't much more than a mouse wheel, but there has got to be something that I can do to make this thing faster! What should I do?
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Greg Rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 Marathon Carb issue?

What was your top speed before the rebuild on the carb? If it was faster then you may have misadjusted a carb cable. If everything is adjusted properly as mentioned in other posts then disconnect your governor and enjoy.
Greg Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes certainly you should visually inspect the butterfly is opening fully and make sure that the spring on the throttle cable is there. If the governor is still installed you can check the operation by jacking up the back axle and gently reving the engine up and down. (Or just remove the governor).

While it is up in the air, disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor and crank the engine (I don't need to tell you to point the line into a jar do I?) Do you see a series of big healthy jets? Not dribbles and not trickles.

If the fuel is not jetting out you may have a defective pump or an air leak in that area however from bitter, bitter experience you have the symptoms of a failed crankshaft seal (although it could be something less nauseous). You can somewhat test the rear seal by squirting some WD40 or similar on the seal with the engine cranking. If the note changes or the engine runs you probably have a sad seal. There is no way to test the front seal other than a visual following a strip down of the front end.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I looked at the throttle cable today and saw that that butterfly was not opening fully. So, I moved the cable stop out somewhat and this allowed the carb to open all of the way. I think this made a significant difference, but I'm not fully satisfied. It is running like the choke is pulled somewhat, but the choke lever is pushed all the way in. Any thoughts on that?

When I rebuilt the engine, I installed brand new front and rear crank seals, so I'm confident that the seals are still good after only having about 1 full hour of run time. I will attempt the wd 40 trick and re-post.

YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Its possible your high speed jet holes in the carb still have a little rubbish in there. On my carb, under the screw that holds the bowl on, the main jet is located take the brass screw out and then the jet tube (yours may or may not be two pieces) you will see some tiny holes and some larger holes. The large holes are your low speed, and the tiny ones are for your high speed, make sure all these holes are clear. I put carb cleaner on mine then blowed the assembly with compressed air. Hope this helps, good luck.
mandoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, 2pg, 87 marathon, custom ezgo marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO