lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Adjusting the Accelorator

Quick question... (working on a 96 DS)

I followed the sticky about speeding up your cart a bit. Went under the cart and lengthened the accelerator rod, measured the thread on the accelerator return spring nut and it was about 1/4 inch. Put the rod back in and before I test drove I realized that the pivot in the black box wouldn't always come back and trip the two servo's that are in there. I thought that would lead to the cart not slowing and shutting off when I let off the gas. I went for spin and I was right, the accelorator was hanging up and the cart would keep going strong even when I let off the pedal.

Went back under and let some tension out of the accelerator spring, retested the pivot and it was working better (meaning that when you let the pedal down it would trip the servo's). Went for spin and the cart had picked up a few mph for sure and was at a pretty good cruising speed and running good. Thought I had it all set, till I pulled up the driveway and the accelerator hung up a bit on me.

Do I need to lengthen the rod a bit to get the accelerator to stop hanging up? Do I need to add tension back into the spring (tighten the bolt on the accelerator return spring? Should I try adjusting the cable where it comes off the pivot and goes out of the black box?

I like the speed I got, good for cruising but don't want to worry about the pedal hanging up. Thanks for the help!!
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Adjusting the Accelorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
Quick question... (working on a 96 DS)

I followed the sticky about speeding up your cart a bit. Went under the cart and lengthened the accelerator rod, measured the thread on the accelerator return spring nut and it was about 1/4 inch. Put the rod back in and before I test drove I realized that the pivot in the black box wouldn't always come back and trip the two servo's that are in there. I thought that would lead to the cart not slowing and shutting off when I let off the gas. I went for spin and I was right, the accelorator was hanging up and the cart would keep going strong even when I let off the pedal.

Went back under and let some tension out of the accelerator spring, retested the pivot and it was working better (meaning that when you let the pedal down it would trip the servo's). Went for spin and the cart had picked up a few mph for sure and was at a pretty good cruising speed and running good. Thought I had it all set, till I pulled up the driveway and the accelerator hung up a bit on me.

Do I need to lengthen the rod a bit to get the accelerator to stop hanging up? Do I need to add tension back into the spring (tighten the bolt on the accelerator return spring? Should I try adjusting the cable where it comes off the pivot and goes out of the black box?

I like the speed I got, good for cruising but don't want to worry about the pedal hanging up. Thanks for the help!!

Hi Joe,Yes, you need to adjust the accelerator rod to the point where the micro's are fully released when the pedal is at the off position to prevent your "hanging up" situation. Adjusting the spring tension will achieve precious little if the rod is physically stopping the return of the mechanism.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

I just re-read my initial post and realized that I asked if I needed to lengthen the rod now to get the pedal to work properly. I meant to ask if I should shorten the rod back down a bit to get the pedal to work properly.

Just to clarify for myself, you are saying I need to shorten the rod a bit until the pedal acts as it should right?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
^^^

I just re-read my initial post and realized that I asked if I needed to lengthen the rod now to get the pedal to work properly. I meant to ask if I should shorten the rod back down a bit to get the pedal to work properly.

Just to clarify for myself, you are saying I need to shorten the rod a bit until the pedal acts as it should right?
Take off the black box cover Joe and you will see the the cam that actuates the micro's. You need to adjust the rod until the micro's are at the off position with the pedal released. Shortening the rod will cause the switches to activate faster and give you a quicker response to start.

FC
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
worldrubio
Not Yet Wild

Faster carter, can you give me some advice regarding my cart?

Out of no where it started going really fast, when I press the pedeal its at full throttle which makes is a little dangerous for y wife to drive. The cart does fly now. I love the speed but it seems like I could damage the motor. While at top speed it does jult like the cart is stopping the fuel and then goes again making a jittery ride.
worldrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrubio View Post
Faster carter, can you give me some advice regarding my cart?

Out of no where it started going really fast, when I press the pedeal its at full throttle which makes is a little dangerous for y wife to drive. The cart does fly now. I love the speed but it seems like I could damage the motor. While at top speed it does jult like the cart is stopping the fuel and then goes again making a jittery ride.
I just posted to your other thread Rubio. What you are describing sounds like either a jammed open throttle or a broken butterfly in the carb. The "jittery" feeling is likely the RPM limiter cutting off the spark due to your engine running to fast.

FC
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Thanks for the responses Fastercarter. I shortened the rod back down a touch and got it to activate the servo's properly and have eliminated the runaway cart issues :) Does feel like I lost a touch of speed on the top end by shortening it back dwn but nothing too bad, still scoots along at a decent pace.

Here's a seperate question. I don't remember if it was like this originally or if this started when I began messing with the accelerator rod. When I hit the brake's, even just slightly (as if I was slowing to approach a stop sign) the pedal begins to ratchet and the parking mechanism activates so I have to tap the gas to unlock the brake pedal. I feel like there was a little play in there before so you could apply the brakes to slow down but not have them lock into the parking brake mechanism. I know that the gas pedal and brake pedal are hooked together, did messing with the gas pedal return spring effect the braking mechanism?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the newbie questions.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
fastercarter
Gone Wild

The pedal shouldn't ratchet at all unless you hit the park brake at the top left of the pedal Joe. You have something out whack if that's not the case.

FC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car