lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
pungohboy
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Cuts out when hot

Hello, I have a 96 CC DS that has recently started acting up on me. It will run along fine and once it gets hot (20+ minutes) it will backfire loose power and eventually cut off completely and not refire until cooled off. I have searched on here and see the common replace the igniter or coil threads. But this is where I am very confused. Let me break down this thing I bought used and its not wired stock....

1. The key switch is not factory there are a couple wires that are not connected to anything near it. It is a 3 way switch if it is in the right position it will start the other 2 do nothing and the key will not turn off the cart just letting off the gas will kill it.
2. I have been running without the rev limiter ground connected it hasnt been connected since before my time.
3. The black wire coming out of the rev limiter splits and instead of going to an igniter it goes to a white wire into wireloom down into the electrical box and eventually to the bottom micro switch (kill circuit I believe).

I think that is it. I have seen where some 96 do not have igniters if that is the case what is the black wire from the rev box supposed to connect to? If my cart is supposed to have an igniter how does it run without one? I am leaning towards replacing the coil but before ordering one I want to make sure i know which one I need. Is it possible to use a coil with built in igniter on a 96 if it came with the external igniter style?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS it is lifted 4 inches with a z lift if that matters.
pungohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 Cuts out when hot

I'm not an expert but the triggering mechanism for the ignition sounds suspect here.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your cart is supposed to shut off when you let off the gas thats the way they are made......everytime you stop cart should shut off and when you press pedal to go cart should start up.............as for coil that all depends on if you have an early 96 or a late 96 they are different............early 96 has the coil, the rpm limitor and the ignitor......the ignitor is bolted to the backside of the bracket that holds the rpm limitor on.....you can,t see it until you take limitor and bracket off its a little bitty silver thing that has 1 little phillips head that holds it on..............if you have a late 96 then you have a coil/ignitor and an rpm limitor......the ignitor is built into the coil......you need to see if cart is getting spark when it shuts off and once you verify that this is what i would do...........if its an early 96 i would replace the rpm limitor and ignitor and wire it so limitor works......if its a late 96 i would replace the coil/ignitor ( weak link ) i say replace because theres no fool proof way to bench test them and service manual reccomends replacing them..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
pungohboy
Not Yet Wild

It does shut off from the pedal it is just the key that does nothing but allow it to start. I had the rpm limiter off as well as the plate behind it thinking I'd find the igniter but it wasn't there. Is there a way to tell if it is a late 96 by the serial or something? I forgot to check which way the motor turns but don't know if that changed mid year.

I will test for spark next time it quits I plan on running it today. I guess best bet would be if it is the coil just take mine off check for part numbers and go that route. Thanks.

Sent from my HP Touch pad running ICS using tapatalk 2
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would cut the tan wire out of the rev limiter first to see it fixes it first. If it's fixed problem solved, you don't need it. Then if not fixed, replace the ignitor. Someone the other day used a universal ignitor (14.00) and it fixed his problem like yours.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
pungohboy
Not Yet Wild

Alright I just got back from testing it. I have no spark once it is hot. Now the question hopefully someone can answer is what part number is the coil with the built in igniter for a late 96? Since I do not have an external igniter I can only assume that it has the built in igniter. My motor turns CCW so it is not a 97. Will a 97 coil work or is there a special part number for a late 96?

I see 2 part numbers listed for a 96 101909201 is with built in igniter and 1016492 without. The 101909201 shows for a 97 as well so I guess that answers my own question on that lol.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungohboy View Post
Alright I just got back from testing it. I have no spark once it is hot. Now the question hopefully someone can answer is what part number is the coil with the built in igniter for a late 96? Since I do not have an external igniter I can only assume that it has the built in igniter. My motor turns CCW so it is not a 97. Will a 97 coil work or is there a special part number for a late 96?

I see 2 part numbers listed for a 96 101909201 is with built in igniter and 1016492 without. The 101909201 shows for a 97 as well so I guess that answers my own question on that lol.
get the one with the built in ignitor even thoug its listed for 97 its the one you need.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
pungohboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply I ordered one after I posted I figured it was worth a shot it should be in by Monday hopefully.

Does the body need to be removed to do the install or can I get by with it on?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
pungohboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I got the coil replaced last night it wasn't a bad job I went ahead and pulled the body off since that kept me from messing up the paint job. I'm sure it has been replaced before on mine though I only had to remove 3 bolts the others were loose so I didn't have to remove the exhaust or anything. I was able to move the cover over enough to get in to work it tore my hand up but was easier than taking the exhaust off. I tested it tonight it seems like it is good to go.

Thanks again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car