lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Default BigBattery 48v HSKY in My 98 Club Car DS

The BigBattery HSKY is due on Monday (2 days hence.)
Time to get ready..

Here is the cart w/old batteries
Then with batteries and body removed...the blank slate so to speak.
Then one possible relocation spot for the electronics.

The HSKY will lay lengthwise between the frame rails. I will weld up a support tray using angle iron and bolt to the old battery tray angle in the front, and install hanger brackets to support the rear. Install rubber strips on the angles to cushion the battery, and make tie downs to secure it in the tray.
Not sure on mounting the plate w/electronics yet, but working on it.
I am not sure whether the electronics should face the battery or away from it....
The charger will be mounted on the driver's side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr1.JPG (356.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr2.JPG (243.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr3.JPG (165.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr6.JPG (421.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr13.JPG (312.5 KB, 0 views)
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Default Re: BigBattery 48v HSKY in My 98 Club Car DS

I have arrived at a quandary:
The aluminum Z bar in the middle of the pictures is 1/8" thick or so, and is welded to the frame rails. I believe it to be a major structural component.
It is considerably higher than the front battery support angle, and the top horizontal leg slopes upward at an angle.
I had originally considered cutting thru the top leg and down the vertical legs in an effort to lower the battery tray in the frame.If I were to do this, I would fab a cross brace out of angle iron and bolt across the frame rails just underneath the battery tray to regain the lost strength.
I could mount the battery tray to the top of that Z bar and raise the front to level. I would still have clearance under the body and seat. However, as the top leg slopes upward, I would need wedges under the batt tray to distribute the contact. I would need to raise the front of the tray about 3" to level the batt.
Or, I could cut thru the top leg of the Z bar ans bend down a bit so that the batt tray could bolt flush.That would not weaken the Z bar as much,but I would still want to add a brace underneath, and would still need to raise the front of the tray, but about 1/2" less...

Any thoughts??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr6.JPG (421.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ClubCarDSrepwr8.jpg (113.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
I have arrived at a quandary:
The aluminum Z bar in the middle of the pictures is 1/8" thick or so, and is welded to the frame rails. I believe it to be a major structural component.
It is considerably higher than the front battery support angle, and the top horizontal leg slopes upward at an angle.
I had originally considered cutting thru the top leg and down the vertical legs in an effort to lower the battery tray in the frame.If I were to do this, I would fab a cross brace out of angle iron and bolt across the frame rails just underneath the battery tray to regain the lost strength.
I could mount the battery tray to the top of that Z bar and raise the front to level. I would still have clearance under the body and seat. However, as the top leg slopes upward, I would need wedges under the batt tray to distribute the contact. I would need to raise the front of the tray about 3" to level the batt.
Or, I could cut thru the top leg of the Z bar ans bend down a bit so that the batt tray could bolt flush.That would not weaken the Z bar as much,but I would still want to add a brace underneath, and would still need to raise the front of the tray, but about 1/2" less...

Any thoughts??
I wouldn't cut it, but that's just me. If you remove the controller/solenoid mounting plate as shown in post one, you'll have plenty of room.

Yes, the pack will be at a slight angle but that's fine. Just relocate the controller and solenoid to the space where batteries 1 and 2 were.

I'm mounting mine on a 9x13 backing pan which will fit into the space where the batteries were. Charger will go on another baking pan on the driver's side.

PS- Get rid of the computer. You won't need it with your new charger.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Looks like I'm gonna use some wood to level the tray and raise so that it rests on or just clears the Z-bar. As long as I have the headroom, I will go with the least modification as possible.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Looks like I'm gonna use some wood and raise the tray up and level off to rest on or sust clear the Z-bar. As long as I have the headroom, I will go with the least modification as possible.
You're going to hate me, but I'll say it anyway. I went with the 72ah ECO battery! Fits in like a glove.

IF it ever gets here!!! UPS sent it back to ECO because it wasn't marked correctly for hazardous materials, UPS says. I can't believe that since they have shipped many of these.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Not at all!
Good choice.I trust it will work well for you.
I always enjoy the challenge of doing what most can't see how ro do.
The HSKY is gonna fit nice!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the V-glide wasn't there, for example if you went with an MCOR4 conversion, you could bolt a 1-1/4" aluminum angle to the top plate of the I-beam frame. I think it would place it almost level for you.

You might still be able to by shifting it just rear of the V-glide.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #8
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
If the V-glide wasn't there, for example if you went with an MCOR4 conversion, you could bolt a 1-1/4" aluminum angle to the top plate of the I-beam frame. I think it would place it almost level for you.

You might still be able to by shifting it just rear of the V-glide.
I'd also have to relo the F/R switch....the batt would have to come clear up to the front of the body to fit.
I'm pretty happy with the placement I am working on....... gonna lay right along the C/L of the frame. The battery can bolt right to the angle iron tray using caster mounting holes at the rear and handle mounting holes at the front. I may not even really need any over-the-top restraints.
Moving the controller and solenoid mounting plate over to the passenger side was no problem.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'd also have to relo the F/R switch....the batt would have to come clear up to the front of the body to fit.
I'm pretty happy with the placement I am working on....... gonna lay right along the C/L of the frame. The battery can bolt right to the angle iron tray using caster mounting holes at the rear and handle mounting holes at the front. I may not even really need any over-the-top restraints.
Moving the controller and solenoid mounting plate over to the passenger side was no problem.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If you remove the controller, obc, and solenoid mounting plate, you can slide the motor back towards the motor several inches. It appears there would be plenty of room for the F/R switch and the V-glide, but maybe I'm missing something. That is one "BIG BATTERY".
I'll see more when my battery gets here and I disassemble mine. But you'll probably be done by then.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car