lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 front motor mount and tensioner????

New to carts and this forum. I just bought a G2, not sure of the year because it's frame is rusty and cant find ID#. It didn't run but all parts seemed to be there and the price was right.

Rebuilt carb, cleaned out airbox and removed an oil soaked air filter. New battery, carb spacer was broken, replaced, new gaskets and waiting on my new air filter. Cart is running. LOUDLY, but I had an issue. PO put a sealed cap on the oil fill, I know not why but he said that he lost the oil cap and replaced with this. It builds so much pressure that a 2 minute drive has oil/gas pouring out of cam breather tube. New oil cap will fix that, I hope.

Next issue, Tensioner and front motor mounts...... when in neutral (I was told the area between fwd/rev was neutral), the front of the motor rises up about 3-4 inches as you increase RPM's, which changes the drive belt tension on the CVT. I found part# (J38-21486-00) for the front mount and the only tensioner I can find is part# (JN3-F217J-09), for a G14. Can anyone verify that these are compatible with the G2?

Lastly the NOISE is exceptionally loud, I will check it with a DB meter, does anyone have any idea how loud these carts usually are?

Thank you. I hope to be able to contribute to this forum as time goes on.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 front motor mount and tensioner????

New carb needle valve, for starters. Worn out motors lose oil, not gain oil to pump into the airbox. Fuel is diluting the oil, making the oil level "overfull", and that's how so much "extra" is available to make it's way into the airbox. I've seen this common problem many times before.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
New carb needle valve, for starters. Worn out motors lose oil, not gain oil to pump into the airbox. Fuel is diluting the oil, making the oil level "overfull", and that's how so much "extra" is available to make it's way into the airbox. I've seen this common problem many times before.

I might also add that the "loudness" might be chatter from loose valve train. Take the valve cover off and inspect the rockers for looseness and set the lash to spec.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I was thinking a new carb kit was the answer and since it runs, without air box right now, you are probably correct. I do have a gas smell on dip stick, but I've been dripping gas all over. I will recheck the dip stick. Change the oil and rebuild the carb.

Thank you! I'll update after completed.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

I might also add that the "loudness" might be chatter from loose valve train. Take the valve cover off and inspect the rockers for looseness and set the lash to spec.
I appreciate the idea. I will order a gasket for the cam cover today. Once I get it I will pull the cover and spark plug. Set TDC and adjust both intake and exhaust valves for .004,

Another project that I will update once done.

I was thinking the NOISE was from muffler....I was hoping I didn't have to spend $$$ on a new one. I will also take a sound (DB) recording with my cell phone to compare before and after levels. Wife said it sounds like a large riding lawnmower going down the road. LOL
Old 11-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I was under the impression the noise was engine related. Sounds like its exhaust related. You'd have to inspect the pipe and muffler for damage/rust. Also check the exhaust gasket on the engine.

Stock golf carts are not loud. They are made to use on golf courses where dozens of them are driving all over the course at the same time. So, yes, they are supposed to be quiet in stock form. As far as decibels go, I'm guessing 80 db? Measuring decibels is tricky too, since everyone measures them differently, meaning at different distances, at different positions, different locations in relation to buildings that might echo sound, and different rpm, and with differentequipment. Its very difficult to get scientific results when measuring decibels.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I was under the impression the noise was engine related. Sounds like its exhaust related. You'd have to inspect the pipe and muffler for damage/rust. Also check the exhaust gasket on the engine.

Stock golf carts are not loud. They are made to use on golf courses where dozens of them are driving all over the course at the same time. So, yes, they are supposed to be quiet in stock form. As far as decibels go, I'm guessing 80 db? Measuring decibels is tricky too, since everyone measures them differently, meaning at different distances, at different positions, different locations in relation to buildings that might echo sound, and different rpm, and with differentequipment. Its very difficult to get scientific results when measuring decibels.
Well I was going to use my cell phone and a decibel app, which I use for checking noise from mowers, generators and inside RVs. It is only a reference and I will record some other sounds as a comparison to the cart so I know how loud it really is. I am almost deaf, so my cart sounds fine to me but my wife said it's loud!!!! That is why I rely on the meter to give me an idea of how loud something is. I will post results.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I am almost deaf, so my cart sounds fine to me but my wife said it's loud!!!!
Yep me too!! Must be a common thing. I was working on my 2 stroke atv with a huge expansion pipe, taking in on a test ride, wife said the same thing. "Oh my God what is that horrible sound?" I said, "That's the sweet sound of success!" She didn't think it was funny. The next day I ordered a stock exhaust for it.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Yep me too!! Must be a common thing. I was working on my 2 stroke atv with a huge expansion pipe, taking in on a test ride, wife said the same thing. "Oh my God what is that horrible sound?" I said, "That's the sweet sound of success!" She didn't think it was funny. The next day I ordered a stock exhaust for it.
I think it was a funny story, our wives would totally get along with each other.
I ordered the valve cover gasket, coming tomorrow, in the mean time I pulled the cover and cleaned it up a bit. I found the Passanger side valve with about 0.040 clearance and the driver side tight with no clearance. Going to local parts store to get a feeler gage tomorrow and I'll set them.
I pulled fuel tank and found caked on gunk in the bottom, cleaned it out and replaced in tank filter with a new one. Cleaned outside of the tank, added an inline filter before the pump, disassembled the fuel pump and cleaned it out. I will order a rebuild kit for it and do that later.
AIr box is back in cart with new filter, waiting on top seal.
Coming together!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You've been busy. Pics? You know we like pics right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha