lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
dwkamins
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Engine rebuild

Boring winter. . . Not really. I learned soooo much!

Full rebuild. New bearings, rod, piston/cylinder. Rebuild carb.

The rod connector bearing were totally shot. One of the mains was clogged with dirt. Nasty.

Had some of the parts sand blasted and then painted with high temp paints.

Also had a big warp on the exhaust manifold interface. Ground that down flat. Had a big problem with blow by.

I took the engine to a machinist for disassembly and crank overhaul. He was very familiar/experienced with split cranks and had all of the special tooling. Worth the $$.$$!

New brushes in the Bosch starter/generator.

Will be looking at air filter upgrade to a K&N filter with a dust bag typically used in dirt bike use. After all, all intake air enters through the crank case on these two strokers.

After break in period, oil use AMSOIL interceptor syn. oil to reduce/eliminate the carbon build up. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ait.aspx

Pearl paint job in the summer. . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20111223-00024.jpg (105.1 KB, 22 views)
dwkamins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine rebuild

That stock filter looks as if it would do the job.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have been running Wal-mart TC-W3 oil for 8 years now with no carbon buildup or excessive engine wear. The stock filter does the job just fine. It is not a high performance High RPM engine. It is a very good work horse as designed and in stock configuration. If you need talking points, paint it with a nice custom design!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

Love it, why not just buy a new crank? I bet the machinist, while awesome, was a lot more expensive. Can not wait to see finished product
Supersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
dwkamins
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Engine rebuild

K&N has an add on filter bag (Micro-fiber reusable) for around $15.00 and is used in very dusty conditions. The club where I use the cart has a lot of trails leading out to the fishing lakes and gun range. They get very dusty during the summer months. I've read that the air filtration is the key maintenance area to be serviced the most for all two strokes. After this amount of work, I'll sleep better knowing that I am doing what I can to keep the crank case as clean as possible.

I could not find a new/rebuilt split crankshaft with rod for the Harley from any parts venders. I saw in the service manual that you need special alignment jigs to properly reassemble the split crank. It states particular tolerances the crank must be in and I felt it was out of my expertise. Really wasn't that much with a new rod and rod bearings, a little over $125.00. This guy had rebuilt many snowmobiles and Kawasaki engines with multiple cylinders all with split crankshafts.

The oil issue was just something I thought I would research after reading about the muffle BBQ. The info on the AMSOIL was intriguing and I really don't want to have to open the engine up to visually check to see how the carbon build up is progressing every few years. I know it's not a "High Performance" engine, but would love to see this cart('75) last another 35 years. Seems that you would want the oil to ignite properly and not leave a build up on the piston, cyl. head or in the exhaust system.(?)

Painting. . . Saw this web site with these pearl and metallic flake that you just put into a clear coat. . . three coats and a top coat/sealer with hardener. Sounds fairly simple. I'll try that technique with some marine grade clear coat. And I'll do my 14ft fishing boat at the same time . Here's the web site on the powder additive:http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm

Oh yea, I'm a dental technician by trade so maybe I am a little too particular with these things. . . But I am enjoying it!
dwkamins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

Love it, thanks
Supersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Fantastic!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson