lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
abamadude
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cleaning Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The mix is 1 cup of Baking Soda to 1 Gallon of water.

Don't wash the batteries on a concrete surface or it will get stained by the acid mixture runoff.

Put the cart on Tow.

The water has a tendency to run down the cables and drip on stuff on the other side of the battery bucket, to prevent it, I do the following:

Stuff a rag on the front of the battery compartment where the cables go to the FNR and charger plug.

Stuff a rag around where the negative cable goes thru the OBC.

Make sure all battery caps are tight so the baking soda mix cannot get into the batteries.

Put most of the baking soda mixture on top of all batteries.

Put the remainder of the mix on top of the batteries that had the most reaction.

Rinse well by pouring water, not a strong garden hose jet stream.

I usually take this opportunity to spray WD40 on the charger receptacle socket and also on the battery tops (just to clean them).

Let it air dry and put some battery terminal protection spray on the terminals. You can cut a hole on a piece of newspaper to keep the spray from going everywhere.
If you are going to use wd40 to clean the terminals, then an electrical contact cleaner should be used after to remove the mineral oil left behind. The oil will attract dirt.
abamadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wd-40 followed by some weaver brake cleaner. That's what I do then I apply terminal spray. But by the sounds of the battery compartment I would remove all batteries and give every thing a good scrubbing. I do this twice a year spring and fall. Once all batteties are removed use simple green and spray entire battery box rinse clean and your good to go.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

image.jpg
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Kingman
Gone Wild

Thanks a lot l will do it in my back yard.

Alan
Kingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #15
deeds
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Would it be a stupid idea to use an old sheet on top of my batteries while storing and using it. I was thinking this would keep a lot of dust and grime out (assuming I remove and shake out dirt and dust occasionally) possibly make it easier to spot acid overflows etc.

Or is this going to end with another post about me burning down the forest because I pulled a burning sheet out of my cart and threw in down in leaves and pine needles?
deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Would it be a stupid idea to use an old sheet on top of my batteries while storing and using it. I was thinking this would keep a lot of dust and grime out (assuming I remove and shake out dirt and dust occasionally) possibly make it easier to spot acid overflows etc.

Or is this going to end with another post about me burning down the forest because I pulled a burning sheet out of my cart and threw in down in leaves and pine needles?
I don't think it is a good idea as it could trap some of the hydrogen gas that normally vents out of the batteries.

The fabric would probably not last long anyway due to acid exposure.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Bad idea. You want the hydrogen that is generated during charging to dissipate. It's not that big a deal to keep the tops of your batteries clean. First - don't over fill them. Then - periodically hose the tops off - not so violently that water gets in the caps but enough to get them clean. If you see the beginnings of corrosion on the connections, clean them up and apply some battery terminal protectant to them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
deeds
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I knew that would be too cheap and easy. Thanks for the feedback! I just changed out the batts and there was a crapload of leaves, dirt etc that I cleaned out. No way to really get to it without removing the batts (8 6vs). I can vac off the top but was just trying to mostly keep leaves and small limbs out. I had thought about the gassing but kind of thought that the vapors would not have much prob escaping thru a sheet. I did not expect much longevity from it with acid contact, im not really getting any spillage that I can tell.

Thanks again for the quick feedback, as I had an old sheet I was planning to put on this weekend.
deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car