lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Noise From Rear

So, my 97 SERIES car started exhibiting a new problem. When I accelerate, the cart struggles to start moving, shuddering like something is holding it back.

I pulled the rear drums off to eliminate brake issues and there is a loud clicking noise coming from rear/motor.

Got a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-gir9KyTyI

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks.
TROPHYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Noise From Rear

My first thought is this. If the rear hubs are not stripped the input shaft might be...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

My 99 and 95 had / have this same problem. I never really figured it out, as it was really just a nuisance. It may be the guide ring on the motor?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My first thought is this. If the rear hubs are not stripped the input shaft might be...
Thanks for the reply. If the input shaft is stripped, wouldn't the motor just spin?

Would my next course of action be to pull the motor off and start my inspection there?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

At first I thought you had a hole in your muffler. BSEG
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Trophyman,

I experienced this EXACT same problem a couple weeks ago. The motor was extremely loud and the guide ring was worn out. So I figured I'd replace it and it would be a done deal.... Not quite. Put it in, still loud and jerky. I installed a good used motor that I had laying around only to find that the same issue still exists. Loud, and jerky when I tried to accelerate. What I finally figured out was going on was that the input shaft bearings were so worn out that it was causing the input shaft to bounce. This was causing the motor armature to bounce around inside the motor and drag on the field coils. Every time it would touch the field coil, it would short out and I'd feel the dead spot in it. That's the jerky feeling you're feeling. I feel pretty confident about this one, especially after hearing your motor.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #7
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Trophyman,

I experienced this EXACT same problem a couple weeks ago. The motor was extremely loud and the guide ring was worn out. So I figured I'd replace it and it would be a done deal.... Not quite. Put it in, still loud and jerky. I installed a good used motor that I had laying around only to find that the same issue still exists. Loud, and jerky when I tried to accelerate. What I finally figured out was going on was that the input shaft bearings were so worn out that it was causing the input shaft to bounce. This was causing the motor armature to bounce around inside the motor and drag on the field coils. Every time it would touch the field coil, it would short out and I'd feel the dead spot in it. That's the jerky feeling you're feeling. I feel pretty confident about this one, especially after hearing your motor.

Thanks for the reply. So these input shaft bearings are inside the rear housing???
Never had one apart, but dosen't look that bad. Where can I get these bearings?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

you can get them from a club car dealership or from a reputable site sponsor. The part number is 7335
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Worn out input shaft bearings ... Is this common or just from a lack of lubrication in this cart?

I put 1 oz STP oil treatment in the differential oil. This keeps lubrication on the upper case gears at all times.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Worn out input shaft bearings ... Is this common or just from a lack of lubrication in this cart?

I put 1 oz STP oil treatment in the differential oil. This keeps lubrication on the upper case gears at all times.
It's very uncommon. I've only seen it once.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car