lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
Kramlinck1
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default New DPI charger question!

Hey everyone, got a few questions. I just received my dpi charger from scotty b. I had a fresh pack of 6-8v batteries and this was there first charge. I ran them
Down to about 47v and just used the charger. It took about 10-12 hours and the green light came on as charged. I pulled the plugs and use my multimeter and got a 52.6 v reading which I think is a good full charge. Very happy!! Anywho, I use my cart at my campground and it may sit for a week or two. I use it during the day and if I hypothetically run my cart to let's say 50v in on day, should I plug it in while I'm asleep to bring it back up or let it run down farther? Also when I leave for the week or two should I leave it plugged in or just bring it to a full charge and unplug it? I'm a worry wart and I'm just worried
About it being plugged in for two weeks straight. I still hums a little even when the charged light comes on. I'm also worried about the elements it may endure while it's plugged in and unattended like rain. What are your thoughts and I appreciate the help in advance. Should I plug it in even if I only use it for 30 min a day. Lol, lots of worrying here.
Kramlinck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
Kramlinck1
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: New DPI charger question!

Sorry about the grammar and spelling, using my phone at work with fat thumbs.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Running the pack down to 47v. (35%) is way to low. You never want to get below 48.4v. (50%).

100% SOC is 50.9v. so I'm guessing the 52.2 reading was taken right after the charger stopped. To get a true reading, you need to let the batteries settle down for about 12 hours after the charger is done.

The "Park and Plug In" rule trumps everything. Plug the cart in when you're done with it for the day. Even on a light use day. Breaking in batteries by drawing them down to 70-75% for the first 12 charges is an ideal goal, but it's not written in stone. Leaving the batteries to sit overnight will do more harm than a light charge.

If leaving the cart idle for 2 weeks happens fairly often, I would consider something like a Battery-Saver that would keep them topped off. It could all be under the seat with only the cord exposed.

Hope this helps--

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I thought the purpose of getting a DPI charger was so you could keep the batteries fully charger. It should maintain full charge all the time. Unless you did not get the smart version.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

The info given by Tag50 is spot on... Never allow your battery SOC to fall below 48.4 volts if you want to maximize your battery life; anything less will shorten their overall life. When not in use keep your cart plugged into the charger this will again maximize their life by keeping sulfating at bay. My DPI charger's holding voltage sits right at 53 volts once it is done with bulk charging; to which I've seen that I can take a full 2 mile + run and still have my voltage meter showing a full 100 % SOC... Regardless of this SOC I still plug it back into the DPI and it will in short order "top off" my charge and return to holding voltage...

Also to add that I work offshore on a 4 week on and 2 week off sch to which my wife rarely uses the cart so it sits plugged in 24/7 with little to no use. I've seen nil for water usage to this day on year old batteries an over 6 months on the DPI charger...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just leave the cart plugged in whenever you are not using it ... I have left my cart plugged in all winter with the DPI Accu sense .. With no issues do not need a battery maintainer. Make sure the charger .. Is protected From the elements . Rain etc .. Do you not have a garage to park buggy in at camp ?
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
Kramlinck1
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just the info I needed. Thanks guys. I will find a way to protect it.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Go to Scotty's website and read his battery break in procedure.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

For a low tech approach, I should have gone with my gut reaction to the rain issue and suggested a "DPI dog house". A plastic storage tote upside down with cross ventilation and secured (so Tuesday's wind doesn't expose the DPI to Wednesday's rain). The maintainer would be costly and redundant.

Happy carting

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
For a low tech approach, I should have gone with my gut reaction to the rain issue and suggested a "DPI dog house". A plastic storage tote upside down with cross ventilation and secured (so Tuesday's wind doesn't expose the DPI to Wednesday's rain). The maintainer would be costly and redundant.

Happy carting

I actually built a " dog house" for a charger that belongs to some friends at camp. Shingled the little roof on it with cut-down shingles and everything! Left the front open but had the roof overhang longer in front. It goes well with the cutesy stuff on their front porch and also protects the charger from the elements.

Here's my own DPI question since I am also a first time owner who recently got a DPI from Scottyb. Does the charger always hum when plugged into AC power? I plugged it in before plugging into the cart and it hummed, just wondering if it quits after a while? Charges normally otherwise - did say full charge when it was done and the amp meter was at zero, but it was humming then too.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car