lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Save a battery clarification

I've had to leave before my main charger had the batteries fully charged. I unplugged the main charger, plugged in the save a battery and left. A couple of weeks later when I got back my multi meter showed 53.2 volts after being unplugged for over an hour so . . .
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeper1 View Post
I'm getting ready to install a dash and radio and thought about rewiring the meter so it's straight of the pack. We're planning on trading the cart in in a few years so I'm trying to not buy a new charger for it (reason why I was aking about the save a battery). Could you explain how you wired your meter a little more (like where the switch is and how you can read the voltage reducer)
Sure... It's a very easy install... I have the switch right next to the meter in the dash. Start with a DPDT toggle switch that has On-Off-On positions such as this one http://www.mcmaster.com/#7343k263/=xhffva to which you bring via small wire pack voltage to one side of the switch, you then bring reducer voltage via small wire to the other side of the switch. To which you ten run two small wires to the meter off the center legs on the switch.... With the switch in the center position the meter is off, with the switch in position one you read pack voltage, switch in position 2 you read reducer voltage....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthru View Post
I've had to leave before my main charger had the batteries fully charged. I unplugged the main charger, plugged in the save a battery and left. A couple of weeks later when I got back my multi meter showed 53.2 volts after being unplugged for over an hour so . . .
Sure as long as you were out of bulk charge and in the absorption charge mode the small charger can manage but if the big charger was still pouring out big amps the little charger may have not been able to do it....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

No it had dropped down to about 4.5 amps by the time I swapped them out.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

What about during the winter when it won't be used at all?
RKeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #16
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Actually that is when it gets the most use. September through January. My cart is for use at the hunting lease. May through August it will sit quite a bit.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

But would the save a battery help ME during the winter months when it's sitting?
RKeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Short answer YES! - after my pack is fully charged normally - my cart is stored and my Battery Minder stays plugged in from end October to mid-March. Even if there's a power outage during those months - it re-engages when power is restored, keeping everything healthy & happy.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
BorisM
Getting Wild

Battery Saver maintainers are also chargers. Why couldn't one use them regularly? I understand it takes longer for the small charger/maintainer to change the battery, but if that is the only issue then why not?
BorisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #20
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

There's only one "theory" I've heard that (almost) makes sense - the higher amp charger causes bubbles along the edges of the plates which sort of stirs the electrolyte so the specific gravity of the liquid is consistent throughout. That would be especially beneficial when distilled water is added. Having said that, I DO use my Battery Minder only - after relatively short runs if no water has been added.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car