lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Canusa
Not Yet Wild

Default Are my batteries really charged?

I have a 1994 club car. I just got it from a friend. The batteries are basically brand new. 48v cart with Northern Energy batteries. When I got the cart the batteries were completely flat, 0 volts. The charger relay was toast so I fixed it I've managed to get the batteries up to 8.4 volts each and a collective of 50 volts. When I try to drive the cart it struggles to move forward and when put in reverse I need to push it to get it moving but it does move. The charger is acting as it should after even a little use on the cart it goes to 18amps then drops to 2amps for seconds and begins and completes charge, I think.
Any ideas of why the cart is barely moving? Are the brakes stuck maybe? Where do you think I should start? My first post here but it sure is helpful to read some of the old threads. Thanks
Canusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Are my batteries really charged?

Can you push the cart by hand if so the brakes aren't dragging. Are the "basically brand new" batteries the ones that were completely flat? If so I'd say your batteries are shot. Hook you meter across the pack and try to drive it. Tell us what the voltage drops to. Does your batteries seem to charge real quick or does it take 4 or 5 hours to charge?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mathematically 8.4x6=50.4 which is not a full charge. Likely the pack has lost some amperage capacity.
TO answer your charger question - yes, it will come on each time you plug it in and top the batteries off.

Full charge reading taken after the pack has settled 12-24 hours is 50.9v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If the batteries were flat, they have been damaged for sure. They will not give you the designed life. Only way to tell how much damage was done by fully discharging them and letting them sit that way is to get them back to full charge and load test them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Canusa
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. The cart moves so brakes are not hanging up. Just road tested and it will run for about 5 minutes forward but will not move in reverse unless I get it started by pushing. When the hill gets too steep it slowly comes to a stop. Under load, driving up hill with two men in the cart the batteries dropped as low as 1.5 volts but when going downhill it jumps back up to 48 volts. I haven't fully charged and let it sit for 24 hours yet mind you.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

No doubt about it, the batteries are shot. My 6mo old batteries only drop to about 45v on a steep hill. The only other thing it could be is a loose/bad connection.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Your batteries are sulphated from sitting discharged. That raises the internal resistance and prevents them from generating enough current to go fast or up hills. You can try more charge cycles and see if they improve but they probably won't if they are that far gone.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

What kind of markings are on the batteries like who makes them. The reason I ask is that I goggled Northern Energy batteries and couldn't determine anything. It looks to me like Northern Energy is just a distributor. Just want to make sure you have golf cart batteries. Which you probably do since they are 8v's.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

This is totally unrelated to your battery question, but it is likely your cart is not a 94. 48 volts didn't begin being built until 95. What is your serial #?
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
Canusa
Not Yet Wild

Great info folks! Ok took the batteries in to battery shop and they're still under warranty. We checked with hydrometer and the batteries are nit reading fully charged. I brought my charger in and they're going to check it but i think it may be faulty. When I connect it the charger does all its supposed to do but does not seem to be hitting the full charge or getting deep enough. It could be the batteries need a few cycles. They're going to try to condition the batteries whatever that means.
The serial number on the cart is A9735-600353 and the date of manufacture on the batteries is August of 2013, older than I thought but I know they've seen little use as my good friend said he had issues with charging for some time as the charger relay was faulty which I've since repaired. I will pick the batteries up on Monday and see what kind of BS they try on me. The company is fairly reputable. Phil's Batteries in Surrey B.C. Up here in Canada, eh
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car