lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrading battery cables - HELP!

2011 Club Car Precedent Excel - So, I ordered a 4AWG battery cable upgrade kit from one of the site sponsors (not going to say who bc when I called, he had absolutely no idea how to install them - "I just make cables" he said) and am a little stuck on what to do with the few battery cables I have that have other cables spliced into them.

1. 4AWG cable & lug don't fit through the hole on the OBC. How do I rout the new cable and ensure that my charger will kick on?

2. Old cable that went through OBC has 2 black wires spliced in to it on the controller end (1 goes to OBC, other goes to a wire harness)

When I explained 1 & 2 to the site sponsor, he said to simply leave the old cable in there and stack the lugs for both the old 6AWG & new 4AWG cable on top of each other on both ends while routing the new 4AWG cable around the OBC somehow. Does that sound right?

3. Red cable has a blue wire spliced in on the battery terminal end (going to the FNR switch) and then on the solenoid end, there is the small red cable spliced in.

So, do I simply stack the old lugs with the new ones? Or when purchasing these "all inclusive" battery cable upgrade kits, is it standard practice to have to slice them apart and tie in these other wires?

I have a call in to ScottyB... hoping for some grace and assistance even though I purchased from another site sponsor!

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6124.JPG (397.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.JPG (351.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6126.JPG (386.5 KB, 0 views)
breese2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Upgrading battery cables - HELP!

Also forgot to mention that the yellow cable from the solenoid and the green cable going to the motor are spliced together at the controller... but I'm assuming it's OK to just stack the lugs from the new yellow & green cables on top of each other?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Scotty b will get you on the right track.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by breese2001 View Post
Also forgot to mention that the yellow cable from the solenoid and the green cable going to the motor are spliced together at the controller... but I'm assuming it's OK to just stack the lugs from the new yellow & green cables on top of each other?
Yeah, stacking 'em is good. Like any connection, just take a wire brush and clean up your terminal or bolt so no dirt or old residue is on it. That way a solid connection will be made.
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Excellent! So, I got everything back on, new ring terminals on a few cables, and she's up & running. Thanks for the nod on stacking the cables on the lugs. All seems to be OK and charger fired right up when I plugged it in.

Of course, who's the idiot that dripped battery acid down the body when removing the watering system from the middle batteries? THIS GUY!!!

Now to figure out if I can buff these etchings out of a surlyn body!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you build a stud to go through the OBC?

There can only be 1 cable from pack negative to Controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Did you build a stud to go through the OBC?

There can only be 1 cable from pack negative to Controller B-.
No, didn't build a stud.

If I have to use a stud, then I'm one cable short as I'd need one cable to go to one side of the stud from the battery pack, and then another cable to go from the other side of the stud to the controller.

Am I doing damage by having both cables from pack negative to the controller? This is what a site sponsor suggested doing. I see the studs shown on scottyb's site. Is there a parts list to make one?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The batteries will not charge right.

Here is an old post about it:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post955672

The bolt is 5/16 brass. You need to wrap some electrical tape on the center threads (not shown in the picture ).

You will need 2 cables (one for each side).

I cannot believe a site sponsor told you that, it is plain wrong and common knowledge here.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

For the record, I wasn't "That" site sponsor.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
For the record, I wasn't "That" site sponsor.
That is correct, wasn't David either!

Sergio: thanks so much for this info! Reading further into the thread, I'm curious if I can snip one end of my 4AWG cable and slide it through the OBC and then reattach the ring connector. Certainly not opposed to using the stud though, either. Looks like a trip to Home Depot in the morning!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car