lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 lock nut

the lock nut on my driven clutch keeps backing off, has anyone ever had this happen before, i think i have a couple motor mounts broke or lose that is causing the back clutch to viberate and back the lock nut off, any help or ideas would be great
garyoquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 lock nut

Make sure you still have the spacer (original equipment is simply a c-clip that usually breaks off) on the shaft on the inside area closest to the transfer case, the half moon key that fits on the shaft and locks the outer sheave, and the cotter pin that goes through the shaft after the nut is tightened.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

the c clip i am not for sure about, recently i put a high tension spring in the back instead of the regular one, and now the outside plate is backing the lock nut off and with enough pressure its backing it across the cotter pin and the back plate will even fall off, i have some viberation in the motor, i may have a motor mount that need replaced, not for sure but am in process in checking thanks for you help
Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If it's a white torque spring, get rid of it. They are too stiff, and can lead to problems. Get the Yamaha U-Max spring--OEM part--and a new OEM nut. If you had the spring seat off of the input shaft, the c-clip, if it hasn't broken off, or the spacer, would be obvious...

This needs to be behind the spring seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe spacer.jpe (4.8 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
If it's a white torque spring, get rid of it. They are too stiff, and can lead to problems. Get the Yamaha U-Max spring--OEM part--and a new OEM nut. If you had the spring seat off of the input shaft, the c-clip, if it hasn't broken off, or the spacer, would be obvious...

This needs to be behind the spring seat.
Exactly right, the clip ring will fail and fail much faster with a heavier spring. The spring perch can move over into the trans case. The spacer takes place of the clip and must be used with a heavier spring. The umax is a yamaha spring for utility carts, it works well, better rpm than stock springs, and they don't cost that much.

Get a new nut what ever you do, they are only good for a few uses and any original one is shot by now. Some old nuts will strip their threads with heavy springs.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Check to make sure you didn't leave the c-clip on the shaft and install the spacer on top of it. If so, you need to remove the c-clip. And make sure the spacer is installed with the teeth part facing the inner sheave.

You should only have a small gap between it and the transaxle. You also need to remove the inner sheave and check the bushing inside it (part that touches the shaft). Possible it could be wore and causing the sheave either vibrate or not fit on the shaft straight. There is a grease fitting on the inner sheave that has to be VERY Lightly greased (one or two pumps only), too much and it will seep out all over the shaft and get on the belt causing a mess.

Make sure the half moon key that locks the outer sheave in place is there also.

Personal note: I've never had an issue with these white torque springs. Mine all came from Carts Parts Plus with the spacer included in the kit, and I've never had an issue. Always gotten great torque without losing any top end.

If you're still having issue after checking these things, post a picture of you're rear clutch assembly so we can see what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe spacer.jpe (9.2 KB, 0 views)

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

ok, thanks for the info guys, i think everything is in place right but not for sure on the c ring, i will check it, i will try to get some pics of it also, i need to get the rear end off so i can get better access to the clutch,

thanks again
Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the lock nut needs to be replaced. i have seen this before. the first time i saw this i was baffled, i knew i had tightened it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
gem1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Blue loctite i use it on my g16
gem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

People do have issues with white springs from ebay and others. I don't know on CPP, they typically are good with their products my cut sheave is really heavy and very nice piece. I run a umax or stock spring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha