lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 05 Carryall 2

Make sure the gray sense wire did not come unplugged from the back of the OBC.

Otherwise if you measured the voltage from pack positive to before the sense wire fuse and did not get a reading, the OBC has failed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Grey sense wire goes into what i thought was sealed computer... Is it removable/can i tear into the computer unit with out damaging anything to maybe check if soldiered joint came loose? Socket has continuity between sense wire by fuse and the socket so i think that is good
giftedonesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry, I was thinking the OBC on Sepex carts, not series. They have a spade connector for the sense wire.

It looks like the OBC is bad, the best solution would be to by-pass the OBC and get a new smart charger.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

To bypass would i just eliminate the yellow wire on front of solenoid connected to obc and connect wire from solenoid to b- or pack negative as described in the sticky on bypassing obc for series? If so when i disconnect said yellow flat terminal wire and grazed that wire against a power wire it sparks leading me to believe it is making a negative.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #15
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

on unrelated note was tracing wires and found that the MCOR had broken internal wires and an extra wire coming off of the key switch on the #2 side with blue wire on key switch... red wire was attached and that feeds into a relay box under the dash from which I haven't a clue what its for so disconnected red wire from #2 key switch terminal and read continuity to the circuit between the solenoid and the key switch and found that MCOR wasnt getting very good reading and tore it apart to find burnt wire.... looking to order new MCOR this week and still trying to figure out why things got all burnt up from the beginning.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Please don't "graze" any wires together, just about any electronic circuit will fry immediately if shorted to negative.

The OBC solenoid activation circuit is/was probably working, the reason You are by-passing the OBC is because its charger relay control circuit has failed.

Since You will not be using the OBC with a smart charger, You need to by-pass the rest of the OBC so it will not cause future problems.

Yes, You will use the process for Series carts.

Those relays on the dash were probably for the brake and lights.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

So just so i'm clear i've attached the schematic break down to the solenoid.

So eliminate the yellow wire highlighted on the solenoid in yellow
Connect another wire to solenoid highlighted in green to B- or battery pack
Connect a wire from charger receptacle negative to battery pack negative

This then bypasses the OBC to allow the charger to go to work?

My question then is being that the solenoid in the schematic provided has a label of positive on the right side isn't that connecting a negative to a positive post on the solenoid?

That red highlighted wire connects to the controller and a white with black striped wire that goes into the first microswitch on the forward and reverse switch then follows into a green with white strip wire to the MCOR then back out to the Blue wire to the key switch and when the key is turned on it is supplied power from the other side .... so wouldn't that red wire on solenoid in turn be a positive wire? Is the schematic wrong on wiring it up or am I wrong to think that because the solenoid is labeled with a + sign on the right side that it should be positive or am I reading the print/ solenoid wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (61.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC by-pass procedure you described is correct.

Just to be clear, once you by-pass the OBC the OEM powerdrive charger will not work, You will need to purchase a smart charger like a DPI Accusense.

Whoever wrote the + and - signs on the schematic did it wrong (there are no signs printed on the club car wiring diagram).

The wire that comes from the Key-switch->MCOR->Micro switch->solenoid&Controller #1 tab is the positive wire.

The wire that comes from the OBC is the negative wire.

If Your Solenoid has a + sign near the coil terminals, then it probably has a diode soldered to the terminals, in this case you need to make sure the positive wire is connected to the + sign on the solenoid.

If the + sign is near the big posts, you may have a solenoid with a magnetic blowout, in this case the cable from the pack positive goes to the big post marked +.

If You have an external diode, the diode side with a stripe goes toward the positive wire on the coil.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #19
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

This is the solenoid in question and you can see where the confusion might be if one thinks the right side on solenoid is the positive side and the schematics state to apply the yellow wire (negative wire) to the right side when in reality it should be on the left?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sole.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #20
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The OBC by-pass procedure you described is correct.

Just to be clear, once you by-pass the OBC the OEM powerdrive charger will not work, You will need to purchase a smart charger like a DPI Accusense.

I know this might be stupid question and I'm a pain in the *** for all these questions but when you say smart charger, are most of the chargers out there smart chargers now a days?

What makes the difference between the chargers?
How does one know if they have a smart charger?

Is it because of the Sense wire socket?
The charger senses the voltage through that wire to start the charger?

What happens if there is no voltage on that wire as well, then what do you do will it still work?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car