lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #31
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48v to 12v Converter/Reducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Hello,

Thanks to some of the other fine gentlemen on this forum, (my favorite place on the internet besides GarageJournal) I was told that I should put in a 48v>12v converter.

I have some questions, and some pictures for my current setup:
  1. If I already have lights and a USB charger (see pics) attached, what does this 48>12v converter do for me? Everything I have now was installed by the dealer
  2. If I don't have one in place currently, hom is my stuff not blowing up? IN other words, how is the 48v being regulated currently?
  3. Would THIS be a good choice or representation of what I'm looking for?
  4. Where would I position it?
  5. How would installing it onto my cart affect the existing wiring?

BEHIND THE DASH:

FRONT OF THE DASH:

UNKNOWN ITEM BEHIND DASH:

BEHIND THE SEAT:

I'm uninformed, not incapable, so I'll gladly take your advice and try to make this work. I do have a multi meter, but honestly that's the limit of my electrical knowledge.
Before you get freaked out remember lots of folks have installed these with Scotty's instructions and Scotty is only one e-mail away. I can get you started the way I would do it but it certainly isn't the only way.

First, the photo labeled "UNKNOWN ITEM" shows the reverse buzzer. It won't be on your to-do list.

Start by flipping the Run-Tow switch to Tow.

Next find and label the cold side of the key switch.

Find and label the hot side of the USB switch.

Find and label the hot side of the light switch.

In the battery bay, disconnect the black cable from the rear battery on the driver's side (the one that seems to have duct tape on it).

Disconnect the red cable from the rear battery on the pass. side.

At this point I like to cover the batteries. I use an old yoga mat but before I stole the mat I used flattened cardboard boxes. I don't like having a 4th of July preview.

In the photo labeled "Behind the seat" you'll see a long, thin box mounted in the web of the driver's side frame rail that has a black wire with a loop in it. That's the 16v.to 12v. reducer. Follow the wires from it to their ends and disconnect. After you've installed the new reducer the old one will have no purpose so you can cut the wires off at the old reducer or coil them up and secure. Your call.

That's about all you can do before the kit comes except to think about locations for the components. I favor putting the reducer between the pass. side frame rail and the support for the back rest bracket. That location gives it plenty of air to keep it cool, keeps it out of the battery bay, is relatively dry and keeps the 48v. wires short. To mount in that location, I'd bend the end of a piece of aluminum flat bar (Home Depot) and use stainless steel self-tapping screws to screw the bent end to the vertical part of the back rest support and screw the other end to the vertical flat bar near the controller. Keep in mind that you will have to allow enough room for the bolts of the back rest that will come later.

I'd locate the fuse block and buss bar behind the dash because it will be feeding all the switches there anyway. With the fuse box in that location, only 3 wires will be routed from the reducer to the fuse box. Keep in mind that the fuse box has to be serviceable when the cowl is in place.

You'll have a better idea of where things will fit when you have the components in hand. After that it's just one piece at a time going from A to B.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #32
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v to 12v Converter/Reducer

Tag50,
Very nice write up.
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car