lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Precedent runs without the key

Hello all, I've been a member here for quite some time but I've always hung out in the gas EZGO and clone motor section. I'm new to the electric side. Due to purchasing an RV and most campgrounds only allowing electric carts my clone powered EZGO had to go. I was lucky enough to make an even trade for a nice already customized 2010 club car precedent. Not sure of the age of the batteries so in the 3 days I've owned it I've been paying very close attention to the performance aspect of it and battery duration. So far I am highly pleased. One thing I've noticed, sometimes when I get on the cart the battery light is lit. It goes out and then comes back on. Off and on intermittently. I didn't think much of it while I was riding the cart but when I found the light on even with the key off and not in it was still lit. So today I decided without putting the key in to just hit the accelerator pedal and see if that triggers something to turn the light off. Much to my surprise the cart took off. My question are, 1. Is this a faulty key switch? 2. With the cart on even without the key is anything "energized" that could drain the battery while sitting? My next question is related to performance. Are the speed magnets worth it and do they do Much? Again I am pleased with the performance right from the get go. It does have a lift kit with 22" tires and run 19mph, a couple times I even got it to hit 20 mph on gps. Because it is a used cart I don't know the history of it. I don't know if it has the speed code 4 in it or may even already have the magnet. Is 19-20mph common with a stock 48 volt cart with a lift and 22" tires? If so and I find that the cart does not have the speed magnets would the magnet help it to gain anymore speed? I am happy that I'm getting 19-20mph right from the start without having to do anything to it but coming from a clone powered EZGO that would run low to mid 30s is like to get a little more put of it. Doesn't need to be a speed demon but I'd like run about 25 if I could. Thanks for any input you all may have to offer.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent runs without the key

The cart shouldn't run with the key off. The fact that it does indicates that the key is shorted or bypassed either accidentally (bad key switch or shorted terminals) or deliberately (previous owner bypassed the switch). In either case it is pretty easily checked by removing the dash panel and checking the wiring to the key switch.

As to whether anything is "energised" and using power, if you've got a DC-DC converter for 12V lights, horn etc it will probably be pulling power unless it has a separate switch besides the key switch.

As to your other questions I'll leave them to the experts.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
yellow light means batteries are not fully charged ...
first check your batteries for water , 1/4 inch over plates...
check pack voltage , main pos and main neg ...
do a OBC reset then recharge them
post results

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...c-updated.html

My question are, 1. Is this a faulty key switch?
it is a possible cause, also a stuck micro switch or solenoid may be welded shut
if you get to the swith pull one wire , if cart still moves then you have other problem

2. With the cart on even without the key is anything "energized" that could drain the battery while sitting?
all batteries lose some charge while sitting

My next question is related to performance. Are the speed magnets worth it and do they do Much?
Again I am pleased with the performance right from the get go. It does have a lift kit with 22" tires and run 19mph, a couple times I even got it to hit 20 mph on gps. Because it is a used cart I don't know the history of it. I don't know if it has the speed code 4 in it or may even already have the magnet.
most campgrounds have a speed limit , check and see if you can go over 20mph

Is 19-20mph common with a stock 48 volt cart with a lift and 22" tires?
yes
If so and I find that the cart does not have the speed magnets would the magnet help it to gain anymore speed?

yes a little

I am happy that I'm getting 19-20mph right from the start without having to do anything to it but coming from a clone powered EZGO that would run low to mid 30s is like to get a little more put of it.
mid 30s ...

Doesn't need to be a speed demon but I'd like run about 25 if I could. Thanks for any input you all may have to offer.
welcome to the sparky world

Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

All those symptoms may be related to a common miss-wire on a Precedent.

Take a look (or post a picture) of Your battery pack, The only battery post that should have additional wires is the pack positive.

If Your Precedent has a 16v->12v reducer wired in a way that does not reference the pack negative for 0V, it will cause all of those problems.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
welcome to the sparky world

You're right. Pic is needed. I'm posting using my phone so I'll give it a shot. But no guarantees I can post a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170427_193447.jpg (260.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Whataya know it worked.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
All those symptoms may be related to a common miss-wire on a Precedent.

Take a look (or post a picture) of Your battery pack, The only battery post that should have additional wires is the pack positive.

If Your Precedent has a 16v->12v reducer wired in a way that does not reference the pack negative for 0V, it will cause all of those problems.

No it does not have a voltage reducer. In fact I thought it was odd that the lights were wired in series between 2 batteries totaling 16 volts. Maybe the light kit is rated for that, I don't know but I'm planning on getting a voltage reducer and wire it up correctly.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
No it does not have a voltage reducer. In fact I thought it was odd that the lights were wired in series between 2 batteries totaling 16 volts. Maybe the light kit is rated for that, I don't know but I'm planning on getting a voltage reducer and wire it up correctly.
Is one of those 2 batteries the pack negative?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's common for people to wire up 12 volt light kits to the 16 volts provided by 2 of the 8 volt batteries. It usually works for a while anyways, but no doubt shortens the life of the light bulbs. Of more concern is the uneven draw and recharging that it causes will shorten the life and decrease the performance of your battery pack. Something like: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer-.html , for a $80 investment can help get more out of your $700+ battery pack.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Beachcarter,
I don't know how long you have had your Precedent, but you may have a 16 - 12 volt reducer hiding under the front cowl.

The standard mounting location is near the right front wheel, that is where CC put the plug in for the harness.
Check that out and see if you find anything.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car