lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default oil light

Recently bought 99 DS gas. Changed oil . When empty turned on key to check if oil light worked ( it did not/ Bad oil light) Going to replace the oil light, but do not want to drain the oil out again to check the light.
How much of an angle (nose down) would it take to trigger the oil sender to make the oil light turn on ?
Do these oil senders go bad often ?? Any other help would be great. Thanks
rustytoolss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: oil light

Silly question, but have you checked to verify it is actually there, and plugged in?

My carryall has the oil light in the dash, but I don't recall seeing the sending unit or wiring when I had it out rebuilding the engine. But that was a good while ago so I may not remember. I'm pulling the engine out of a 98 DS tonight I'll look and see if it's there. It has a light in the dash but I haven't really looked at the cart much, other than to pressure wash it so when I work on it I get a little less nasty
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The oil level sensor is in the middle of the engine and you would have to get it probably 30° or more to one side to get it to turn the light on. Front to back, probably 45°.

It’s just a switch, hook a multimeter on continuity test to the yellow wire where it comes from the plug. Check to continuity to ground with no oil in the engine. Add oil to the engine and make sure it opens (no continuity) after you get about a quart of oil in it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

At this point All I have done is check the light, which does not work/ (tested with 12v battery charger). This weekend I will check it out better. Install a light, and try to get it on a hill side (key on/ not running) and see if the switch will trigger the light. Thanks Would be nice for this light to work.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Testing the light is much easier than that. Turn the Key On and ground the yellow wire that goes to the sender. Remove the wire from the plug and use a short piece of wire or a paper clip to touch the engine case.

I've had our carts on some very steep hills here and never had the light come on. I have only had one cart that was losing any significant amount of oil during the course of a season and it seemed to have to be around 1/2 quart low before the light would come on, so not sure if a hill will be enough. Usually the switches don't fail unless the float mechanism fails, which would make the light stay on all the time.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I can make the light work cheaply, I will do that. But I am not going to spend $75.00 for a sender (if it's bad). I will just check the oil each week when we get to the campground. That's probably the best thing anyway. But if the wife goes out by herself....she would not think to check...so a working light could not hurt anything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car