lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
jonahdubya
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad rev limiter?

Recently picked up a 2000 Club Car gas and it wasn't running right from the start. Found and fixed problems with the fuel system: old fuel, bad fuel pump, carb etc. Got it running a lot better but still not right. Found the ground wire on the rev limiter was cut so I re-attached the wire and now it acts like the limiter is kicking in any time I try to accelerate (sounds like turning ignition on/off rapidly) Wondering if the limiter is defective. Has anyone had experience with this type of problem?
jonahdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Bad rev limiter?

Usually when the rev limiter goes bad, it will have no spark and won't run. Be careful, see my other thread what happens when you run without it and without a tach to keep it under rev limits!!! I believe the rev limiter is set somewhere around 3200rpm but I wouldn't go above 4000 or bad things happen quickly.

How high is it revving when it cuts in and out? Sounds like it may be working as it should. Make sure the governor and pedal play adjustment rods are all set like they should be, should run around 12-13 mph. Then you can adjust slowly from there to try and increase it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
jonahdubya
Not Yet Wild

Do not have a tach (yet) but verified the spark is being interrupted with a spark tester. Any gas pedal movement past 1/3 down is when it starts shutting off spark. Cannot be any more 2000 rpm when it kicks in.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's how the limiter is supposed to work, but it's supposed to be somewhere around 3,000 rpm.

Make sure the primary clutch is closing down properly. If the primary can't close you'll do about 6-7mph and the engine will just over rev and bounce off the limiter.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
jonahdubya
Not Yet Wild

Clutch seem to be closing down ok. I think I need to check adjustment on all cables due to previous owner messing around.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
jonahdubya
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I think I need a tutorial on all cable adjustments. Previous owner seems to have been making improper adjustments.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

the service manual and service should have all the info on proper set up on the components. the one for my 08 goes step by step with some illustrations.

not sure if they are still available or not, but good info on the cart and configuration beyond the owners manual !!
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car