lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
unclebeffy84
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Gas Precedent Starting problems

I have a lifted 06 precedent that has an issue starting at a dead stop. Plenty of charge in the battery as I have an on board battery tender that I plug in when I am not at camp. Never been under water, has been through water but not past the frame to submerge anything electrical. It will eventually start when floored for a few second and you back off the pedal once it does and you get going but it does this every single time I come to a complete stop.

I have no idea where to start when it comes to these things, give me a diesel, 2 stroke outboard or a auto gas motor and I got it but not with all the different things needed to make this thing go. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Side note- I was looking for a little more speed out of it, not a lot just a few more mph to get me to 30mph since I was already very consistent at 26mph I just wanted to hit 30mph to keep the folks in cars behind me happy while driving around town so I spoke with someone and they said to cut the brown wire in the front of the motor and that could do the trick which it has. No more bouncing off the limiter and we do a consistent 30-31 without any issues as of yet. My concern is how detrimental can this be in the long run to the motor? Will it end up being the reason I buy the twin cylinder big block replacement for it? Or should I be fine with it like this?
unclebeffy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Gas Precedent Starting problems

Check the brushes in your starter/generator. If they're worn it can cause it to be hard to start. It's not uncommon for club cars to have this issue, especially when starting the motor up when it's on its compression stroke. Can be hard for the S/G to overcome it. I had good luck on mine by replacing the wires going to the S/G to help with this. It still does it some, but not nearly as much or long.

As for cutting the wire on the rev limiter, buy and install a tachometer. Dont let it go above about 4000rpm or bad things can happen very quickly. Like this >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...v-limiter.html

If you want speed, safest way would be to get a set of 8:1 speed gears. It should cruise 30mph with the engine comfortably running along. Not screaming at high RPM like now.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
unclebeffy84
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Could it be anything else besides that, maybe something else to test as well? How can I test diag the problem with the brushes besides like on a car and tap it with a hammer? I keep the cart about 100 miles away from where I live so I want to make sure I have all the ammo I can have before going to war with this problem since I don't have much in the way of internet when I am there.
As for the high reving, its really not running any higher rpms than it did before I cut the wire, just doesn't bounce off the limiter at all anymore. I paid close attention to the sound of the motor before and after I did it and it doesn't seem to have increased that much but I will get a cheap tach and figure out how to install it.
How will the gears do with 14" wheels and knobby tires(not sure on their size)?
Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Might just need to clean out the carb.

If having it floored for a few seconds makes it go that sounds like it’s flooding and holding the throttle wide open might be clearing some of the fuel from the cylinder.

Another possibility is the governor cable is pulling on the throttle lever and opening the throttle plate too soon. If the plate is open when the starter begins cranking it will be hard to start. The starter has to start turning before the throttle plate opens.

These things are dirt simple, but minor adjustments can make all the difference.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
unclebeffy84
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Starter doesn't even engage, as soon as it does the motor fires right up. I guess I should have lead with that, my apologies
Old 06-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ah, that’s different then. Make sure the starter belt isn’t slipping. That needs to be pretty tight or it will slip on the starter pulley.

If the starter doesn’t do anything at all, Listen close for the solenoid to clunk. If the solenoid is closing, Check battery voltage and see if it’s dropping down under about 9.5v when the solenoid engages. Low voltage or a poor cable connection at the battery or solenoid can cause that sort of thing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
unclebeffy84
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Battery is constantly fully charged, I keep a battery tender on it the entire time Im not there and at night when I am since I run a sound bar off of it. So I will check the cables. Anything else to check? Any switches or other connections other than battery cables to the starter/geny?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
unclebeffy84
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also I can hear the solenoid clicking when pressing the pedal before the starter engages, once it does I just wait for it to fire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car