lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Easiest way to center steering wheel

Besides removing and replacing the steering wheel how can I center the wheel. I've tried adjusting by the steering gear but run out of thread before it gets centered. I'm about a quarter turn off
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Easiest way to center steering wheel

Proper way is with the drag link, which might be what you’ve been adjusting already. If it won’t center one way, try it the other way. There are two jam nuts on the drag link sleeve. You have to loosen both and turn the sleeve. There should be enough adjustment. Also, I’m not sure which clipboard you have, but on mine the centering of the steering wheel isn’t with the clipboard. The clipboard can be loosened and rotated.

Speaking from experience (and a worn tire), you should measure you toe in or out first before centering the steering wheel. Mine was severely toed in, which meant I adjusted the drag link more than I needed to.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Whichever way you do it. Inflate the tires equally and use a perfectly flat surface.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggieMaverick View Post
Proper way is with the drag link, which might be what you’ve been adjusting already. If it won’t center one way, try it the other way. There are two jam nuts on the drag link sleeve. You have to loosen both and turn the sleeve. There should be enough adjustment. Also, I’m not sure which clipboard you have, but on mine the centering of the steering wheel isn’t with the clipboard. The clipboard can be loosened and rotated.

Speaking from experience (and a worn tire), you should measure you toe in or out first before centering the steering wheel. Mine was severely toed in, which meant I adjusted the drag link more than I needed to.
Yeah I’ve adjusted the drag link as far as it will go both ways to no avail.
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The steering rack has a tension assembly inside that can allow the pinion gear to skip on the rack if something gets hit hard enough.
Re-centering the rack is tricky and requires it to be all but removed from the cart.
Easiest way is to adjust the drag link to somewhere near the center of the threads, set the wheels straight ahead, then remove the steering wheel and re-install with it as close to straight ahead as possible. Then make final adjustment with the drag link.

The other option is to unbolt the rack from the frame, and remove the u-joint coupler from the rack to re-center everything. This way is much more labor intensive and time consuming, and difficult to get it right the first time.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car