lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Choke sucks Intake flat

After I cleaned the carb and associated intake parts, my DS sucks the intake hose flat when I apply the choke. Don’t really have to use it this time of year, but checked it after I re-assembled everything. It also makes a whistling sound at the choke itself, as if it’s drawing air past the choke. I don’t remember any of those things happening before. Is this an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Choke sucks Intake flat

Which choke do you have? The big button type or the flap inside the air box?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Big button

Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Then you can make sure the choke button assembly is not blocked by debris or dirt or bug nests. There's a long screw in the center than is removeable from the back of the choke once the air box is removed. You may be able to disassemble it to clean it out. You should be able to look in through the back and see if there is anything blocking the air holes in the choke assembly.

The intake hoses on all of mine are pretty stiff, so if the hose on yours is really easy to squeeze by hand that may be part of the issue. You may end up needing to replace the hose.

Also as long as the Carb is clean inside and adjusted properly, a quick push and release (maybe for 1-2 seconds) of the choke button should be all that's needed to get the engine running. Maybe you have to do that twice if it's really cold.
You should never have to hold the choke down for a long period of time to get it started even in cold weather.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

If this is for your 92 DS...
it's completely normal for the intake tube to collapse when pressing the choke button, and whistle (sucking air) at the button while running.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

I never really have to use it, unless like you said it’s really cold. Not much driving during that time of year anyway. But again just during after reassembly testing is when I noticed it. Everything is clean.

Thanks guys. It probly did it before and I never noticed.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The intake tube may be a little on the weak side. Neither of mine suck in when I choke...

But i can see how its normal too. The choke on these blocks the intake tube from the airbox with a plate. The engine sucks air pretty hard so I can see how it could collapse the tube and whistle.

I almost never have to choke my carryall. The DS I just built I'll sometimes have to choke it for a second the first start of the day, but not after that.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Two thing for quicker/easier starting.
Idle mixture adjustment. The fuel mixture screw on the side is only for adjusting the AF mixture through the idle fuel ports. These are pretty much only used when the throttle plate is closed. So the idle mixture screw really only affects the AF mixture during starting, and for a brief period as the throttle plate opens and transitions from idle to part throttle operation.
Turn the idle mixture screw to the left to turn out and enrich the fuel mixture. Try 1/8 turn at first. Assuming the idle fuel ports in the carb are clean, that should make all the difference. If not, try another 1/8 turn. If it still makes no difference then the fuel ports or the idle pilot screw may be dirty and need to be cleaned. Or the throttle plate stop needs to be adjusted.

Throttle stop adjustment is to turn the stop screw out until the screw does not touch the lever. Then turn in until it just touches, then turn in another 3/8 -1/2 turn.
If the screw is More than 1/2 turn in, setting it for 1/2 turn should make starting much easier.
If it’s already set at 1/2 turn in, Try adjusting so the throttle plate closes a bit more. If it’s 1/2 turn in, adjust it back to 3/8 turn. If the plate is too far open it allows a little more air in when starting and can make the mixture too lean. It’s a bit tricky to get it perfect, because once you start it for the first time, you pretty much have to wait until the next day to see if it made a difference.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Choke sucks Intake flat

Fairtax4me I think I’ll give that a shot as well. Nothing major but it does “crank” for a brief second before firing. So mabey richening up the idle mix will help with that. Thanks again for the expert advice.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car