lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Fuel pump/vapor lock?

Just went out and checked. Carb vent is clear. Nothing in the lines.

I was busy earlier and parked it when it quit. Fuel lines and filter were empty. Just went out, flipped it in svc mode and hit the pedal. Instantly, fuel filter and lines filled and it started running. No issue at all.

I've seen fuel pumps fail, but usually when thay happens they're done. They never work again. But never seen one.work perfect for a while, quit completely. Then work again after it rests for 15 minutes.

It's not an OEM mikuni, pretty sure it's a nivel. the local shop swears by them. But I may have to just order a new mikuni and hope for the best. But strange the pump from my other cart does the same thing, but is fine in there.

I'll figure this out if it kills me lol. And I'll make sure to post whatever fixes it so hopefully the next person has some type of direction!

Unfortunately I'll be gone a lot the next couple weeks, so wont be in town to look at it. But I'll make sure to update once I get resolution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190803_222716.jpg (271.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 AM   #12
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Pull the bowl off and open the main jet just a little. I had same symptoms and chased my tail for ALONGTIME!! Tried new tank pick ups, changed the tank vent, redid the fuel lines 10x tried 4-5 different carbs, tried atleast 10 different fuel pumps including electric, moved the vacuum take off between block, valve cover and carb isolator. Still had same problem. Finally opened the jet just a tad and it has been fine since...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...ing-vc460.html
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #13
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

For what it’s worth. The pulse needs to be short as possible. Yours looks a little long but I would start at opening the main jet just a tad. Mine would run fine for 3-4
Miles and die. Lift the seat the filters and line would be empty and the pump didn’t seem like it wanted to pump, reason I like you thought it was getting hot and creating a vapor lock. If I let it sit for 5-10 mins the lines would be full again and cart would run fine again for 3-4 miles... It looks like your cart is still stock motor but I would give this a try. Just a little, I used welding tip cleaners to do mine.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Is that fuel cap vented through the internal sender? The tank vent port has a rubber plug in it... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...apor-lock.html
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The lines are just temped in until I can sort this, but really the only one that needs to be shortened is between pump and carb. The picture makes the pulse line look longer than it really is, I routed it so it's a gradual uphill run all the way to the pump, and allow the engine to flex in the snubber. If I shortened it an inch it would be banjo tight and come out when the engine flexes.

I may try that flat mikuni if it's a bit stronger than OEM. After thinking on it, it's definitely vapor lock. Yesterday when it shut down, I flipped up the seat and saw the lines and filter were empty. But I was able to drive it almost a mile home with the choke on, so the choke must have been restricting the air enough it could run off the vapors.

And it's not the "stock" motor, it has a FE350 in it. I'm wondering if that may be contributing as well. My carryall has enough room between the seat and the motor for a second engine! In the DS body, it's right there. That may explain why my carryall fuel pump works fine in the carryall but does the same thing as the others in the DS? Maybe the FE350 runs a little warmer than the 290?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

The fuel pumps did not make a difference for me. I tried a bunch of different ones including a electric one. After I tweaked the jet some I went back to oem silver square club car pump. Pumps fine for my 420cc clone. That silver club car one pumps plenty. I tried the black round ones they use on the 22-23hp mower motors and didn’t make doffernece
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Update back in town. I installed a genuine mikuni pump. Did the same thing. Pulse is good, can even feel the pulse through the copper mesh on the pump. Pulled the hose off the gas tank pickup and put it into a jar filled with gas, it primed and started pumping.

Now it takes ~30 minutes of straight pretty hard driving before it does this. Up until that point theres no indication of problems at all. I've out screw clamps on all the lines, tank to pump, pump to carb, and pulse line. Theres no water or dirt in the tank and the pickup tube I used teflon tape to seal it better to the elbow that screws into the top of the tank. I still have the ezgo gas cap on with the gauge so theres a 1/4" hole straight through the center where the gauge rod comes through so venting isnt a problem.

I guess I could try and swap pickup tube with my carryall and see if that makes a difference somehow. can try that tonight. Open to any other suggestions as well.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think (hope) I may have finally figured this one out.

I swapped the pickup tube with the known good one in my carryall. I primed the pump and lines and it still didnt pump "great". So I pulled the carb.

I wanted to pull the carb anyway, driving it today i noticed if i was going full speed and let off, and coast to a stop it acted like it was loading up on fuel. Hard to start, and choking made it 10x worse. Pulled the bowl, fine. Pulled the main jet... I remembered thinking it was odd it was silver and not brass when I first cleaned it but went with it. This time for giggles I pulled the jet from my spare carb that was brass, orifice looked slightly larger but negligible. But I installed it.

Then... Blew through the fuel inlet and heard air. Wtf??? That shouldnt happen. Pulled the float and needle, there was a tiny "string" of plastic in the seat. Grabbed a pick took and worked it out. Like a little piece of casting from the cheesy plastic seat in the carb (yes it's a keihin carb). Put the float back in and blew as hard as I could, no air noise. Put it back together and on the cart. Primed the lines and fired right up. The lines are staying MUCH fuller than they ever did before.

I'm thinking thr needle was leaking, and not allowing the fuel lines to prime and pressurize (even though it's only 1-2 psi). Becauae of this, it was allowing air to seep back into the lines and cause the vapor lock.

I'll take it for a long drive tomorrow after I mow my yard and confirm, but fuel pump has never worked this well since I built it. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good find. Hopefully this was the problem.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Drove it more today. Still loading up if you coast down a hill or to a stop, but didnt have time to drive it too much. So pulled the carb again, and the little string of plastic was in the seat again

I cleaned my spare carb and figures, it has a brass seat. Took it for a drive and so far, zero signs of loading up like it was. Before. I'll take it for a long ~10 mile drive tomorrow to verify but I thinknive finally worked out all the little kinks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car