lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Sleek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 88 Marathon Starting Issue

Hi all, I'm glad to be on the forum, you all have some awesome carts.

I recently obtained 2 88 marathons for free. I've been working on getting one running. It has the 244cc robin. I cleaned the carb, threw some fresh gas in it, put a new fuel and airfilter on. After a few cranks and a shot of starter fluid(I know I know...) it fired up. I drove it around for a short while to get it warmed up(governor is removed). After some other tinkering I took it for a couple laps around the block. ran great and was very surprised. After A little more driving it made a pretty weird noise(not sure as to exactly what it was...maybe metal sound?) and it kind of gurgled and came to a stop. The electric motor wouldnt turn it over so I checked my electrical connections and they were very loose. Drug it home, put it on the battery charger, and tightened the connections. I then tried to start it with no luck, not even with starting fluid. It just kind of cranks and then every once and a while a backfire. I'm getting spark and I took the carb apart again and checked the reeds and it all looks good....any ideas guys?
Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Jricherson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Starting Issue

I believe it is a 2 stroke, the oil pump might not work causing it to sieze up or score the cylinder. If the pump has been removed, which I recommend, then the fuel will need to be mixed.
Sounds like it might have gotten hot.
Jricherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Sleek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The oil injection has been removed. I mixed the gas at about 32:1. It did almost seem like a heat seize but I just couldn't figure how it happened that quick.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Jricherson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Believe it or not these only need 1 or 1.5 oz/gallon of gas. About 128:1 on the 1 oz ratio.
If you are doing heavy driving (not golfing) then do the 1.5 oz ratio.
You might have too much oil in the gas?
Jricherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Sleek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thats very interesting. I grew up with gopeds dirtbikes and quads where 50:1 was on the verge of lean. What really gets me though is it wont even start on starting fluid.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe broke the rings? Check the compression.
hawkeyedm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Checking the compression will tell you about the top end and then check crank seals. Fill the crankcase with gas and watch for leakage over a couple of hours from behind the clutch and flywheel.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Sleek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

can these things get out of time? I tried unhooking the exhaust from the muffler because I thought maybe I had clogged it running 32:1 mix gas and it will actually shoot a small flame when trying to start but never actually fire correctly.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Mr Marathon1990
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

mine did the same thing when the oil pump decided that I needed to rebuild the motor, pull the head and inspect the piston, i would get a few backfires but no start,
Mr Marathon1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO