lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Flooding after running or when sitting on a slope

1997 Fe290 Club car well I put a new coil and got the cart to run better but after running about 1/2 mile if I should stop it takes awhile to get it going mostly because it is flooding with gas like two tablespoons full when I take intake filter off. I have taken carb apart and cleaned it good all passages open even the three very small holes under the hole behind the pilot screw High speed tube cleaned everything

The float when bow is off and held upside down is just level with carb body with held in this position I blow air into fuel pipe no air going through lift the float a little and air goes through

This tells me needle valve is closing and opening ( I am just not comfortable with non adjustable floats ) I guess

Now if I sit cart in carport and run it in service mod It run perfect starts easily runs smooth at WOT and back down but run on streets ( closed community ) and stop floods

need help
thanks
81 First is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Flooding after running or when sitting on a slope

I've had a couple of them now that the needle seats fine, but gas will flow past the o ring on the bottom side of the seat/float mount (it should all be 1 plastic piece).

As far as I am aware, it is not replaceable. I've tried to get a couple of them out and broke both of them, only solution I'm aware of is to replace the carb...
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I've had a couple of them now that the needle seats fine, but gas will flow past the o ring on the bottom side of the seat/float mount (it should all be 1 plastic piece).

As far as I am aware, it is not replaceable. I've tried to get a couple of them out and broke both of them, only solution I'm aware of is to replace the carb...
Thanks for your help again
I did replace the carb w a ebay one and the float was lower than the old so that is why I cleaned the old carb very good. The only thing I did not have was a new welch plug so I keep thin wire or strands from an electrical cord around and I polked them through all the holes and than made small pools of carb cleaner till the drained through
This has happened too many times now there has to be a fix.

I am going to try some thing that seem unrelated I am changing the starter belt the one on there is originale an at same time drive belt an I found that there is no front snubber on engine ( just wondering if putting that on lifting the engine that 1" of front height ) I keeping seeing that snubber for sale and did not know if my engine used it ck. a diagram an seen that it goes on the fram not engine
Wish me luck !!!!!

Oh when cleaning carb the needle has a rubber tip and the seat uses the carb body with a tapered hole ( used the new carbs needle with old float ) and installed it correctly
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd triple check ti make sure the needle is seating. Hold it upside down in a quiet room (no fans) and dont put any pressure on the needle. Blow fairly hard into the fuel inlet and listen carefully for any signs of air seeping through. Should be nothing as hard as you can blow.

Also make sure the carb butterfly is closing all the way when you let off the gas. Cable may be out of adjustment or sticking... if the carb doesnt shut all the way it can still draw fuel in when you coast to a stop, the engine is still turning so pump is still pumping...

Without having it in front of me it's hard to say with this stuff sometimes, but it's a couple things to check anyway
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will be tied up until tomorrow afternoon and I will do the Throttle plate, and also change the starter belt and drive belt and the snubber.
I do ck. the needle valve just like you described so I am confident that is Ok
What I am also doing is backing off the pilot valve ( creep ) a very little at a time

Level and in service mode it run so strong very smooth ?????

I let you know
Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I'd triple check ti make sure the needle is seating. Hold it upside down in a quiet room (no fans) and dont put any pressure on the needle. Blow fairly hard into the fuel inlet and listen carefully for any signs of air seeping through. Should be nothing as hard as you can blow.

Also make sure the carb butterfly is closing all the way when you let off the gas. Cable may be out of adjustment or sticking... if the carb doesnt shut all the way it can still draw fuel in when you coast to a stop, the engine is still turning so pump is still pumping...

Without having it in front of me it's hard to say with this stuff sometimes, but it's a couple things to check anyway
With a little fine tuning and I pretty sure I have this wiped

Saturday I ordered belts and a Snubber ( old starter belt was 1/2 as wide new, drive a heavy duty one ) Installed everything last evening and what a difference.

I believe the backfiring was caused by the lack of the snubber ( out streets are level BUT ) engine bouncing and throttle being held to floor causing cable to slide in and out just a small bit. When installing the snubber I added a spacer between frame and snubber 1/4 inch piece of starboard so snubber can still move but is restricted to what the snubber allows only very little extra space. (NO BACKFIRING NOW)

This also helped with the flooding since the engines carb. is higher at hinge side of carb float ( so far so good and reverse is easier to control ) With new starter belt you can actually feel the difference where starter starts and engine engages In same spot every time.

I am keeping fingers crossed on this one It made me feel like a rooky small engine mechanic
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car