lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 Yamaha Drive 48v

I recently bought a 2009 YDRE. Batteries are about 80%. Everything else seems to be in working condition. My issue is that the cart only goes 12mph. My 36v club car blows this 48v away. Any idea why that is?
Thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Yamaha Drive 48v

What do you mean by 80%? 80% charged? How old are the batteries? Also, the default speed code on those is very slow. You would have to replace the controller or get a PTV code.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

I had someone load test them and did a hydrometer check on them and that’s what he told me? I called a Yamaha dealer and they said to put in a speed code, it would be about $145 plus labor. I’m ok with spending that but, he said that it sounds like something else could be wrong if it’s going that slow.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are almost 5 years old
Old 11-26-2019, 03:31 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Speeds sound about typical for "not unlocked", but I would be very skeptical of anyone's test that puts 5 year old golf batteries at 80%. That's about their typical lifespan before they're dead. I'm sure they didn't use test measures that could estimate anything near "expected run times" for golf cart batteries pushing golf carts around. Automotive starting tests are a joke for batteries that are expected to do more than crank a starter. Don't put much faith in SG (hydrometer) readings when fully charged batteries are at rest either, "at rest" readings don't move golf carts far. How long can they carry a 56a load? (Hint: thats the 48v golf battery standard test, should be longer than 60 minutes). What would happen to their hand held automotive battery load tester if they held it on for even 5 minutes straight? Would short out, catch fire, burn their hands......

Automotive load testers are only good enough to characterize golf batteries as "totally junk", or "not totally junk", that's about all they can do. (Assuming every battery you test/compare is at the same level of charge). An "ok" battery that's fully discharged will not look good on that 15 second test. While a fully charged battery that can barely get around the block might look better (during the 15 second test). Takes more than 15 seconds to get around the block.

Automotive starter batteries are typically never going to be expected to deliver the cranking power for longer than about 15 seconds at a time before the vehicle starts. (At that point you may expect it's not gonna start for some other reason).

See where the weakness of automotive testers vs golf batteries come up?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
LatonkaPiranha
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I bought a 2012 YDRE this summer. Top speed was also 12-13 mph. I just upgraded to the Alltrax controller, HD solenoid and 2g wires. Just in testing got it at 22 mph. Will be looking to replace the stock motor soon.
LatonkaPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
MICKYG513
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatonkaPiranha View Post
I bought a 2012 YDRE this summer. Top speed was also 12-13 mph. I just upgraded to the Alltrax controller, HD solenoid and 2g wires. Just in testing got it at 22 mph. Will be looking to replace the stock motor soon.
I'm taking delivery soon of a 2012 as well where did you get the controller and solenoid from ?

thanks

Im in Bucks county PA !
MICKYG513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
LatonkaPiranha
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I wasn't planning on the controller right away, but happened to find one on an Ebay search...I couldn't pass it up.

I'm in Mercer County, other side of the state.
LatonkaPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

A great place to get the controller is Scotty at cartsunlimited.net. Site sponsor and great install instructions and support.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
MICKYG513
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you !
MICKYG513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha