lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
tightline57
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 98 club car blows fuse when .....

got a 98 club car gas , installed new voltage reg, replaced key switch , new coil, and replaced rev. limiter. I had to fix some wiring that someone had jumbled different wire colors, taped on, and tied together...anyway replaced wiring .( per wiring diagram) for 98 . not for sure if i understand the kill circuit
. looks like a direct short on the pedal limit switch to me? any info would help??? tunnel vision done set in!!
tightline57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 98 club car blows fuse when .....

When does the fuse pop?

The kill circuit grounds the ignition coil primary side when the pedal is Up. The microswitch on the throttle cam is meant to be normally pressed. The switch releases when the throttle is pressed down. The kill circuit uses the normally open terminal of the switch. This terminal is closed to the common terminal of the switch when the switch is pressed (pedal Up).

The kill circuit is also connected to the M+ terminal at the key switch. This terminal is closed to ground (M- terminal) when the key switch is in the off position.

Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
tightline57
Not Yet Wild

when i turn on the key the fuse pops. if i leave the black / white wires off micro switch it doesn't . just wondering if the pedal cam needs adjusting or if it can be .? I also have installed new key switch which has no markings for the wires, i'm thinking red wire will have send 12v pos. to m+ when turned on? but that means m- to #1 terminal will drop out? thanks for the reply and great wire digram. my first use this forum,
Old 12-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightline57 View Post
when i turn on the key the fuse pops. if i leave the black / white wires off micro switch it doesn't . just wondering if the pedal cam needs adjusting or if it can be .? I also have installed new key switch which has no markings for the wires, i'm thinking red wire will have send 12v pos. to m+ when turned on? but that means m- to #1 terminal will drop out? thanks for the reply and great wire digram. my first use this forum,
You have your key switch wrong. Red wire to #1, yellow & blue to #2 has continuity when switch is "on" & no continuity when switch is "off". White/black to M+ and solid black to M- has continuity when switch is "off" & no continuity when switch is "on". If there are no markings on the switch you have just connect the red wire and the blue & yellow wires to the posts that have continuity when the switch is on. White/black & black to the other 2 posts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
tightline57
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info, i'll try changing them tomorrow, i had assumed that i would be sending a neg. to the coil on the contactor from the switch looking at the diagram,
Old 12-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good wiring diagram CC Gas Thanks
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
tightline57
Not Yet Wild

thanks again for the info, changed it yesterday worked like it supposed to !! waiting on new coil to arrive , maybe will be able to start and run.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightline57 View Post
thanks again for the info, changed it yesterday worked like it supposed to !! waiting on new coil to arrive , maybe will be able to start and run.
If you haven't already, you might try unhooking the kill wire at the RPM limiter (black box immediately above the oil drain plug) - black wire that runs from the coil under the drivers side engine shroud, between fins on the motor and goes to the limiter. If you unplug that black wire where it goes in to the RPM limiter it will bypass the rest of the kill circuit and let you know if it's really the coil that's bad. Note: doing this you may have to choke the motor out to get it to stop running (if it does take off) as the kill microswitch and the key switch are taken out of the equation.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
tightline57
Not Yet Wild

thanks, i will try that. I had already replaced the coil with an aftermarket coil, it started a couple times but lost spark after that. someone had ran a wire from the top micro switch to primary side of coil +12v . thought that may had something to do with loosing the original
coil to start with and the one i put on. thanks for all your info
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, that's a magneto style coil. spinning magnet on the flywheel across the field of the coil generates the power to produce the spark as well as triggers the spark. Once the engine starts it will keep running even with a dead battery, voltage regulator or generator. It takes grounding that wire off the coil to "kill" the spark.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car