lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Cdk
Getting Wild

Default 2004 Precedent seems low on power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It wont be a rocket off the line, but it should be able to get itself up to speed pretty decent. On 23s it should be rolling about 20mph easy.
If it wont rev to the limiter in neutral something engine related is wrong. Usually a lack of rev means there's some obstruction and the engine just can't breathe. Possible it's a valve timing issue, but checking that would be the next step after checking everything external.

In regards to the limiter, if I have the brown wire unhooked from ground, there shouldn’t be any limiter at all, correct? As far as I understand, it should rev until the valves start floating and the rod wants to exit stage left. Or am I missing something? Just want to make sure I understand.
Cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Precedent seems low on power

Yeah if the brown wire is off the limiter is disabled so it will rev until it pops. You can totally bypass the limiter if you want, but most of the time just disconnecting the brown wire takes the limiter out of the picture.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:50 PM   #13
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It does sound possible that your muffler is "constipated"
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Cdk
Getting Wild

Ok so I unbolted the muffler and ran it. Still wasn’t revving right up to the point where it would pop.

Can someone explain how the limiter works? Does it cut spark completely when it hits a certain point, or does it back off gradually? As far as I know it shouldn’t be doing anything with the wire off, but I’m running out of ideas.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

When the limiter kicks in, it cuts spark completely for about 2 or 3 seconds. Then starts sparking again and engine resumes running.

Can you take a video showing exactly what its doing g or how it's running? If you pull the plug out and hold it against a valve cover bolt, what color is the spark? Is it an OEM carb or aftermarket?

Sorry if I'm repeating questions, just that something isn't adding up here. It's possible it jumped a tooth somehow (though I dont know how, but maybe someone was in that engine before and it's been off a tooth all along?)... is compression any higher or lower once the engine is warm vs. Cold?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #16
Cdk
Getting Wild

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02j0...dminster_(Part)

See if you guys can view this video. Cart starts up fine, revs up, but never seems to top out.

Not in the video, but I played with the choke a bit while it was floored, I could get a tiny bit more rpm with the choke button very slightly depressed, but not much.

I believe the carb is OEM. I took it right apart and cleaned it completely.

Spark looks very strong when grounded against the frame. Can it possibly be losing spark at higher rpm due to something?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #17
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It sounds like it is not opening throttle all the way. Do you have your governor spring zip tied?
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #18
Cdk
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by villebacker View Post
It sounds like it is not opening throttle all the way. Do you have your governor spring zip tied?

It’s fully open. I’ve checked multiple times with my hand to make sure the butterfly is open all the way.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds good but definitely doesnt sound like its winding out like it should with the rev limiter disconnected.

Just to confirm, does the carb say keihin on the side of it next to the fuel inlet?

What does the spark plug look like?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:02 PM   #20
Cdk
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sounds good but definitely doesnt sound like its winding out like it should with the rev limiter disconnected.

Just to confirm, does the carb say keihin on the side of it next to the fuel inlet?

What does the spark plug look like?

Yes, carb says Keihin.

The spark plug was brand new out of the box when I took that video. The previous plug was a nice chocolate brown, didn’t look overly rich or lean.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car