lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default About to give in and buy batteries

Well I’ve been inside and out with this G29 and reached my limits of knowledge and skill I guess. So now as I use it at the campground, full charge for about a 8 min ride there is a hill I have to clime to get back to my site. It just falls on its face and barely make it up and by the time I’m at my site I’m at almost 1/2 at the gauge, but feel is a misleading number the way the cart is acting. Time to see a professional?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: About to give in and buy batteries

Seems to be your issue. A digital meter will tell the tale
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I did that. 48.1 On all And they each came up at 8 to 8.1

Old 05-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Which seems a bit on the light side to me

Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, that's all nice, but 48.1v isnt even a full charge, (only around 50%) and if repeated charges cant get it up higher, you "arent there yet". If your trusting a "10-led bar graph" style meter, know this, it's only "kinda accurate" when you have good batteries that are all of equal strength (and that's usually the joke, only the best batteries meet that), those meters are nearly worthless in most real-world situations. That style meter is only for those who refuse to understand what's really going on, and when it let's them down, they usually say "my meter is broken, i need a new one". (Kinda like replacing your "dead battery" in your car when the alternator isnt working). I cant even count how many people have demanded I replace their meter, and demand no battery test, when the meter just cant keep up with failing batteries. (But hey, that's cheap, and batteries are expensive). Then I get "you must have sold me a defective meter, after all I spent, it still doesnt work...WARRANTY", when that doesnt fix it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

No I get it! Thanks for for info and advice! Probably gonna retest one more time and call my cart guy. I know when I started the test they were higher than 48.2 but they weren’t at 50v either and dropped within 30 seconds to 48v. Make me question Crown Batteries, the date code was May 18 but only my second summer with them and really was disappointed in them last year compared to the Trojan four 12s I had in my last cart

Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I think at full charge for a 48 volt pack (after charging has stopped for a few hours), you should have about 50.5 volts. You need to test each battery individually if not to see if you have a bad one (or 2) that may be preventing a full charge to the pack. All the batteries should be about equal charge. If they are, need to check batteries under load. That should tell you where the problem may be...your battery pack registering at 48 volts is basically out of juice for running a cart. Crowns are good batteries and you should not have problems this early if they have been maintained properly. I assume you have kept eater level proper and have not run down past 50% state of charge too many times...
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Full charge 50.8 | 50.9
Each battery came back 8.4
Hit the gas and the wheels jerk and jump around and won’t climb to full speed with wheels off the ground.
30 seconds of that ....49.8volts
Gonna do more checking this afternoon

Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangie View Post
Full charge 50.8 | 50.9
Each battery came back 8.4
Hit the gas and the wheels jerk and jump around and won’t climb to full speed with wheels off the ground.
30 seconds of that ....49.8volts
Gonna do more checking this afternoon

Sounding more like a bad motor.....hitachi motor was junk
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
Orangie
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I was testing the solenoid and when hooked up to negative of system and controller side of solenoid when you let off the gas the voltage slowly drops off. Even after a minute there still may be 20volts. Normal ???

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha