lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
DickHarper
Not Yet Wild

Angry 2010 RXV suddenly stops

So, the other day my cart suddenly stopped while driving and would not even do the brake test when I switched the key off and back on. I could also smell the braking resistors giving me the belief that the controller was going into regen.

Batteries are GOOD.
Brake replaced last year (I know what the brake failure is like. I replaced the brake before because it would jump too much during the brake test.)

Another note, once the cart suddenly stops, I cant even put the cart into tow mode. The key switch wont do a brake test. Its as if the cart is in a "safe off" state to protect itself. Once the cart sits for several minutes, it will run like normal again.

Its done this to me 3 times now and last time I had to yank the brake and push it home.

Any ideas?
DickHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #2
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 RXV suddenly stops

I know you said you don’t think it’s the brake, but it’s very similar to my experience with a failed brake a couple weeks ago. My brake had water in it, which I assumed allowed it to slip enough to allow the cart to move until it overheated and went into the protection mode you’re talking about.

Once it stopped neither tow or emergency brake release worked, then 5-10 mins later I could make it a couple more blocks before it would shut down again.

Brake actuator had failed, tow mode stopped working.

My thread if you want to compare notes: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166378
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

any way it got wet? there is a plug under the cup holder that I believe will make it lock up because mine stopped a couple of times a few weeks ago and it was either due to getting wet or that I had loose connection at the main battery or couldve been both (one for each instance)
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
DickHarper
Not Yet Wild

I had a brake failure last year and the symptoms are completely different. The brake failure I had last year would fail the brake test most of the time. Sometimes it would pass, but the brake wouldn’t release and I could drive it slowly until the brake finally gave out entirely.

In this instance, once it suddenly stops, the cart is completely no responsive to the key. After several minutes, it would wake back up.

Can it be a separate brake issue? Maybe, but I have a hard time accepting that. Why would it just wake back up after several minutes? Also, why would the controller not try and do the brake test after turning the cart off and back on?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickHarper View Post
Can it be a separate brake issue? Maybe, but I have a hard time accepting that. Why would it just wake back up after several minutes? Also, why would the controller not try and do the brake test after turning the cart off and back on?
My assumption on mine was that the brake was dragging enough to trip the controller/motor into an protection mode for over temperature.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
DickHarper
Not Yet Wild

GATOR- I couldnt tell of any drag, but I guess its worth getting a replacement brake before I replace the controller.

If anyone else has any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

I'll update on the brake replacement soon.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
GATOR- I couldnt tell of any drag, but I guess its worth getting a replacement brake before I replace the controller.

If anyone else has any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

I'll update on the brake replacement soon.

Thanks
Is it rolling freely in tow mode now?
Old 07-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
DickHarper
Not Yet Wild

Once it suddenly stops, nothing works. Tow mode doesnt work. The key going from off to on will not do the brake test. Its like the controller is in a safe off state.

After several minutes, it will wake back up. Its very odd. It makes me feel like its a heat related issue since after a few minutes it will work again.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Once it suddenly stops, nothing works. Tow mode doesnt work. The key going from off to on will not do the brake test. Its like the controller is in a safe off state.

After several minutes, it will wake back up. Its very odd. It makes me feel like its a heat related issue since after a few minutes it will work again.
I meant now that it's back at the house and cooled down will it roll in tow.

Mine would not, that's what confirmed it was the brake doing it for me.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
DickHarper
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
I meant now that it's back at the house and cooled down will it roll in tow.

Mine would not, that's what confirmed it was the brake doing it for me.
Ah, I understand your question. Yes, the tow mode would work once it woke back up. That's another reason why I'm not so sure its the brake.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO