lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default Re: Am I getting spark? ground?

Ok- you all have given me good info and tests to do! One question though Crash- your 1st post says to jump the small posts and you last advice says to jump the large posts??

I just want to verify what jumping one vs the other will tell me.

Can the body of these be tilted up? How?

Also- where is the **** serial number???? I still can't find it! Can I find it on the motor?
Beachrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Let's go back to basics. Review your wiring connections.

1) The A1 should be connected to the battery negative terminal.

2) The F2 should be connected to one of the large poles of the solenoid.

3)The positive terminal of the battery should be connected to the other large pole of the solenoid. (The A2 should be connected to another terminal alongside the starter).

4) One of the small terminals of the solenoid should be connected to Ground (cart body); the other should be connected to the line going to your pedal switch. (There is no polarity so you can connect whichever).

Turn on ignition key. If there is no "clicking sound", either a)you have low battery, b) faulty starter, c) faulty connections between solenoid, ignition key or faulty microswitch at the pedal.

If the starter gen does not turn over, jump the two large poles of the solenoid. If it starts, your solenoid is defective and has to be replaced. If it still the starter does not turn over (and you are certain that you have a good battery), it could be a faulty starter gen (carbon brushes worn out/dirty; loose connection at the A1 and F2 end).
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Beachrights
Getting Wild

You guys are keeping me busy!!

Lets go back to even earlier basics!

A1,A2,F2???? Remember, I am a newbie so I need a helper course in these terms.

I have a few hours to try these ideas tomorrow before work so hopefully I will be getting back with good news! My gut feeling is this a grounding issue- which is cheaper too!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Your starter generator has two ends. One end has the pulley. The other end connects to the cables. Here you have the A1 and A2. The A1 goes to Ground ior you can connect direct to the battery negative side (- sign). A2 is connected to F1 which is a terminal on the side of the starter (side not end). The F2 is also on the side of the starter (almost opposite in location to the F1). You connect this F2 directly to the solenoid (any big pole).

The other big pole of the solenoid is connected directly to the battery positive (+ sign or red plastic ring).

For our present purpose, leave the connections to the voltage regulator.
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Beachrights
Getting Wild

1st off- I really appreciate everyone's efforts here! Here is what I have:

Jump direct from battery to 2 large posts on solenoid= spin- good!

Jump direct from battery to negative on starter and positive post on solenoid [incoming post from battery post, not outgoing post to starter] = nothing. If I move the jumper cable to the outgoing post I have spin.

tried removing the 2 small wires and direct jump- got the click but no spin. Not even sure at this point if i should have spin!!

I pulled the plug on all attempts and looked for spark on the end of the plug- nothing. When I get spin shouldn't I be seeing a spark on the plug?

Also saw the marking J38 on the motor- mean anything?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrights View Post
1st off- I really appreciate everyone's efforts here! Here is what I have:

tried removing the 2 small wires and direct jump- got the click but no spin. Not even sure at this point if i should have spin!!

Also saw the marking J38 on the motor- mean anything?
You need to replace the solenoid. Sometimes the plunger works which gives you the "click" sound but if the copper bar or one of the studs are burned or broken it will not make contact and complete the start circuit.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #17
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Well, I was hoping for a bad ground but i think you are right!

One more question- When I jump direct and pull the plug, should I be able to see spark on the end of the plug? This is the part that keeps gnawing at me, no matter what test I did I never saw spark.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The cart has a starting circuit and a grounding (kill) circuit.
When you let off the pedal it not only breaks the start/run circuit but also completes a stop circuit that groungs/kills the ignition to prevent run-on.
So when you jumper the two small posts you need to be pushing the pedal at the same time to check for spark.

edit: Also this is a magneto or CDI ignition system. Unlike a points/condenser setup with a big fat yellow spark, this will has a verry small blue spark.
It might help to do it in a closed garage with the lights off or throw a thick blanket over you in daylight.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Basically, yes, there should already be spark if you remove the spark plug, connect it to the plug cable and place it near a metal ground.

So beside the solenoid problem, you have possible problem with the ignitor and/or ignition coil. But check first connections before you start replacing the ignitor which is very pricey.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
crash12888
Gone Crazy

It just hit me and I rechecked the firdt post, you say maybe "G1" cart but you have only mentioned one solenoid. G1 carts have two solenoids, 1 forward, 1 reverse.
Do you have two on your cart? you find a serial number yet?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha