lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default Re: Am I getting spark? ground?

JG-5-00268 which is a 1991 G9 I think.

I did try depressing the pedal but I think my viewing of the spark was being done incorrectly- I was just looking at the spark plug end and the gap. I did not place it near metal to ground it.

Guess I start over again on that one!

Whats the components of the grounding circuit?
Beachrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
Beachrights
Getting Wild

UPDATE_
Since the weather turned a little nicer I continued my quest- NO SPARK!! Could this be a grounding issue that is causing the solenoid and no spark issue????

Or if my solenoid is bad as tested above and needs to be replaced, what is the no spark issue caused by? Ignitor?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Trace the 2 small wires connected to your ignition coil. One should be connected to the small wire at the solenoid side (not the ground side). The other wire should be connected to your ignitor. Check if one of them is broken/no connection. It's also possible you have a faulty ignition coil or malfunctioning spark plug cable.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Beachrights
Getting Wild

I have spark!! I forgot to connect one of the small wires- duh.

I also found that I just have to jump direct from battery positive to the positive connector on the starter [bypassing the solenoid] it will turn over- scared the crap out of me on that one!!

This leads me to say my negative battery ground must be good?

Now I need to trace the solenoid black wire which is the ground and maybe that will cause a nostart?

I also sprayed starter fluid in the sparkplug hole but it did not start.

I am getting closer to getting this thing running I can feel it!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Lets rewind a bit.
1. The solenoid has 4 poles: 2 big ones and 2 small ones
2. One of the big ones is connected to battery plus and the other to the starter gen.
3. One of the small ones should be grounded; the other one is connected to:
a. The end of the wire coming from the pedal micro (to complete the circuit)
b. To one of the small wires connected to the ignition coil
c. One wire from the ignitor (in EZGOs, this is the red wire)
4. To supply power to the solenoid, the other wire coming from the key switch should be connected to the solenoid large pole that is connected to the battery plus (or alternatively, direct to the battery plus).
5. The other small wire coming from the ignition coil should be connected to a wire leading to the ignitor (in EZGOs, this is the orange wire)
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
Beachrights
Getting Wild

The saga continues... New plug, cleaned carb-LOTS of brown gunk in there! I am getting gas. I placed hand over carb opening [removed airbox hose] and felt suction.

negative carts cable connected and jumper cable from battery positive to starter positive [to bypass bad solenoid] key on, pedal depressed and all i get is "putt-putt".

Belts turn, choke makes engine make different sound- sprayed starter fluid in carb throat and down sparkplug hole. Putt-putt.

I started from ground zero again with posts from members and one thing I am doing wrong is trying to start with the airbox not connected. I am reading it needs pressure?

This thing should start! I have fuel, spark and air. AAAHHH!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #27
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Uh... make that no spark... I had spark the other day and I doubled checked today and nothing. I still think this is all caused by a bad ground somewhere! Intermittent spark, new solenoid that just clicks?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Beachrights
Getting Wild

IT RUNS!!! Yes it has a bad solenoid but it runs. I finally realized why I was not getting spark...and I am not proud of it either.

I was jumping direct from battery to the starter bypassing the bad solenoid so therefore the solenoid was not supplying power for the ignitor.

Once I reconnected the carts positive cable to the battery AND jumped from positive to the starter it started. Duh.

So now the rebuild can officially begin. I really want to thank all who responded to my questions- I know it went on and on but I learned a boatload from all.

Anyone have a G9 solenoid they want to part with?!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #29
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Great news glad you got it running
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha