lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
ned1943
Not Yet Wild

Default G-14 mods

Want to tow race car with my cart.What mods should I do. Cart is not lifted and has all stock parts.
ned1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default Re: G-14 mods

Well, not sure a golf cart could handle that much weight on the clutches, but you'll need to start with this from Tom at CPP:

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-....html:thumbup:
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Bugsy
Not Yet Wild

what does the race car weight?
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You should be fine...you may want to go with a torque spring in there just to help ya on the take off. Other than that you will be perfectly fine....no worries
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Start with a new belt, if the cart has a tension spring (I forget if they do) tighten it up until it does not bog but gains rpm when starting out with a heavy load. Too much tension can reduce top speed check with a gps if you want. On a G9 this little cable is under the starter pulley and keeps the engine cradle from torquing back towards the transmission, which will make for a higher gear if allowed. Another thing you can do is take the secondary off and grind down the last 1/4 or so of the ramps a little maybe 1/8 max at end of ramp. Make the slope less at the last 1/4 to 1/3 of the ramp. Make sure the pads can't fall off the ramp if you do it (think it can be shimmed if needed), you have to set up a jig to make all three ramps the same, or see if a machine shop can. That will gear it lower up to 5mph or so when it shifts. With mine you hardly notice without a load it runs more rpm up to 5+ mph if throttle is on hard. I did it to help pull boats out of a lake. You can buy different helix angles for some carts, not sure about yamaha, not sure what way they change the angle mostly they are used for large engines. A clone 16hp will pull much harder I just put one in. Stock it may work ok with a new belt and stock tires, stock tires are lower gearing than many here running 22s or better ATV tires. You could go with smaller tires I think you can get an 18x6 I forget old carts used to have them they are a little shorter than current cart tires not that much. You can put a spring in the secondary, I just don't like them but they work. They are a chore to get in there and you should put the spacer behind the clutch if it has a snapring it will break the ring. New belt does help for sure, if its close to 1" it will bog more, new is 1 3/16" wide, normally only an issue for lifted carts you can run down to 1" normally. I've pulled a 19' fiberglass boat with a small block I/O and one axle with this, lot of weight on the hitch though it near lifts the front off the ground. I've pulled hay wagons, 18' OB boats, an empty car hauler, a 14' utility trailer full of roofing....all on mostly flat ground but not paved. That is a G9 with 22s, cut helix, I drilled the clutch weights too but not much difference, newer belt, tension cable set via gps to hold max speed, airbox is hogged out and carb jetted up, and lastly keep the clutches clean and lubed so they work right it helps a lot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
ned1943
Not Yet Wild

car wieghs 2000
ned1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha