lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: OBC Replacement timer for Timerless Lester Charger

The reason I ask is at $138 could U just not buy a replacement OBC and keep the charger U have ?

Just a thinking
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
tawtone
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Gleemo...
That would seem to be resonable to just replace the OBC, it will be about $50 more expensive.
From all i have read the 96 models obc has more problems than the later versions.
So i am figuring on just getting rid of it.
I have thought about staying with the plug in timer but dont want to ruin my batteries.
The gizmo is supposed to regulate the charge and not be a straight timer.
I am open to other ideas and thanks.
tawtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

So is your PowerDrive Charger in good shape ?
If yes then it should be worth $250-$300
Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
tawtone
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok now you hit a sore spot!
i have to confess that when the problems started i went and bought a used charger. I played big dummy once with this cart by doing this, now i have two good chargers.
I don't want to waste more money with this processor if i can help it.
BTW think i should keep or sell the second charger.
tawtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If both of them are for Club Cars, they make great anchors. Buy a used Lestermatic configured for an EZ-Go, put your CC plug on it, remove the cart OBC, and VOILA! The Lestermatic charges/equalizes the pack.

You can do this on a Club Car, right guys?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Never had one of my own go bad , so sell the one ,
which U know works with a good OBC !
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

What a EZTOW ?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
808Pants
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does anyone have any manufacturer contact info for the OBC timer-replacement pictured earlier in this thread?

I installed one in mid-July, or about four months ago. It came from an ebay seller that's showing no indication of responding to my recent question about mfr warranty - you see, there was a loud pop the other night when I connected the charger, and I unscrewed the timer cover to find that one of the two electrolytic caps had spiraled out paper and charge-plates like a party-favor.

When I ordered this item, I had expected that the included paperwork would include such typical info as warranty info, tech-support contact, etc. Nope. The instructions are fantastically disjointed, too, with a key drawing showing charger components wired only partially, so if you're not at least a little familiar with charger components and rectification, you're likely going to be scratching your head. The accompanying text adds to the confusion, mixing & overlapping steps in application to various models to which the timer might be installed.

It's never made clear in the instructions whether the OBC can or should be entirely removed - it only describes "cutting and taping" one wire (as if to suggest the others need remain, and that there might be some remaining function of the OBC). Empirically & with consultation w/David Hicks, I determined that the OBC is superfluous, so if it's bad, it might as well be cut out completely to avoid later confusion about wiring.

It seemed to work for the last few months, so I am hopeful that this was a warranted defect and that the instructions have been re-written by now, but Google fails me in locating other than retailers of this product.

"Auto Timer"
30930 (36V)
30931 (48V)
808Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . . that timer seems readily available, though no one lists who manufacturers it . . . suggest you call one of the vendors that sell it and see if they can shed info on manufacturer . . . found this info:

http://www.golfcarnews.com/gcn/?p=959
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
808Pants
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah, thanks, I came across that same link & even tried emailing - too soon to have had a response. The schematic he posted was as/more confusing than what came with the device until I realized that his intention was to build the timer back into the club car itself, and not into the charger. I like the idea of being able to use the same charger on other carts, so I followed the intent of the 'portable' installation as covered in the device's instructions (and filled in the blanks to make it complete.)

I think tomorrow I will do as you suggested and call some other retailers, knowing full well they may tell me they're not gonna help me out since I didn't buy it from them.

--Dave
808Pants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, obc, timer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car