lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Question Yamaha G1 Newbie

Let me start by thanking everyone here for great information and posts. I literally spent hours reading posts. I didn't know anything about golf carts just a few days ago... Now I even know what a muffler BBQ is...

I just purchased a non running Yamaha G1 for what I think is a steal, $300. I have not pulled the serial number to determine what year it is but I have done the following.

New Air Filter and Pre Filter
Spark plug
Fuel Filter
Drained the old gas
cleaned carb

After getting the fuel through the system it fired right up.... Check the compression, which I have never done before, with a $10 harbor freight I got 110.

I wanted to ensure that the oil pump is working and that I am getting a proper mixture. I don't want to blow the engine. I have read posts that state very little oil comes out of the tube but I didn't see any. I am looking at the smaller tube that is going from the oil pump to the carb. I then put a clear oil filter in line on the feeder tube, the larger one coming from the oil tank but the oil doesn't seem to be going through the filter. If I blow into the oil tank there is plenty of flow through the filter but nothing out of the little tube.

here are a few questions.

1) should I just premix? I have seen many suggestions for both methods. And I like the no fuss reliable oil injection system.
2) should I even use an oil filter
3) what is the best way to ensure the pump is working
4) it is very possible that the oil pump is clogged. How can I check/fix this
5) is there anything else I should check/replace before putting it in service

Thanks in advance for the replies

Here is a related link for the oil injection system that I will refer to tomorrow and try a few things.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...injection.html
Yamaha_G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_G1 View Post
1) should I just premix? I have seen many suggestions for both methods. And I like the no fuss reliable oil injection system.
2) should I even use an oil filter
3) what is the best way to ensure the pump is working
4) it is very possible that the oil pump is clogged. How can I check/fix this
5) is there anything else I should check/replace before putting it in service
First off welcome to the site!
Now on to the answers

1- No fuss and reliable cant be used in the same sentence when talking about these carts and thier oil injectors. If you want no fuss then use the oil injector (at the risk of it quitting and locking up your motor). If you want reliable then premix and it will NEVER fail you (but it does require you to think when filling up the cart). I personaly premix because i had my oil injector give out and lock up my engine prompting a rebuild.

2- 4 - All these problems can be avoided by premixing but im sure somone else has better answers than that. Plus if you are already having problems with it then a siezed motor may be in your future

5- The only other real issue with these carts is the crank case seals. You can tell when they need replaced because the cart starts running worse and worse and needs the choke (normaly) to run all the time. They arnt hard to do and me and a couple others have doen write ups on them. So if you wanted to get that out of the way that may be a good idea but its still one of those things that gives you PLENTY of warning when they start to wear out.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Chuddy thanks for the reply.

If I decide to premixed how do I bypass the oil pump? And what is the number of ounces per gallon?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have read a lot of different suggestions for premix

from 40:1 down to 150:1

40:1 = 3.2 Ounces per Gallon
150:1 = .85 Ounces per Gallon

That is a big difference. I think I am going to go premix with Yamahlube but will need to determine how to bypass the oil pump and what ratio to mix at...
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

As some of the others suggested, I'd get rid of the oil injection.

I mix mine at 50:1. She smokes a bit, but not bad. I'd rather it have a bit too much oil than not enough. "Experts agree that it is better to err toward the side of too much oil, rather than not enough."

I also run a couple jet skis, various pieces of lawn maintenance equipment and everything is being mixed at 50:1 for simplicity's sake. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally putting 85:1 premix in one of my skis and burning the thing up.

50:1 is 12.8 ounces of oil to 5 gallons of gas.

Here's a handy calculator for whatever ratio you decide to run. Just change the values around for 1 or 5 gallons (or whatever).

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html
rivertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I run between 75:1 and 85:1. The stock G1 mixed at between 150:1 and 300:1 depending on throttel position and RPM. I wouldnt mix 50:1 simply because it will build up in the muffler VERY fast.

Also I didnt bypass my pump or tank..I just drained the oil tank and let it be there. Doesnt hurt anything to sit there and ride along

You can bypass the pump by taking the clutch off and removing the cover then taking the oil pump gear out but its alot of hassle for no real reason. If your in there doing the crank case seal ya might as well but thats the only reason really
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuddly View Post
I wouldnt mix 50:1 simply because it will build up in the muffler VERY fast.
Doesn't seem to be an issue yet. The previous owner ran 40:1 and had the thing for a lot of years. Guess we'll see. Currently it barely smokes at all and still has excellent power. Ran it past one of those signs on a neighborhood street that gives you the speed readout and clocked it at 29 mph.
rivertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I got the oil injection system working by following some trouble shooting steps from this post. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...injection.html

It smokes a little more than expected but no worse than a two stroke dirt bike.

I am building this for my mom to take my nephews back and forth to the pool so simplicity is key.

I got everything running and my nephew ran it around for about 45 minutes without any issue. Did nowhere near 20 mph but I think the governor is active.

I am going to leave it up to my folks if they want to mix gas or rely on the oil injection system.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Next.... The rubber bushings up front are toast and the rear drivers side tire is rubbing on the inner fender liner. Not sure if the body is off or the axle but it all looks straight.

It is all coming together, thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha