lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Marathon potentiometer problems, HPD with Alltrax

I've totally changed out the wiring to 4 guage, new Alltrax, new HD solenoid, but it was still running sluggish. I did the testing for the potbox and the ohms started at 0 and after that it was all over the place and finishing WOT at 7.100 ohms. This was the original box it came with and here is the wiring for that. For clarification of the rest of the cart wiring, I used a diagram found here on BGW. Below is what it looked like before I switched out the new pot.

[IMG][/IMG]

After switching out the pot and wiring it up the way it was with exception to a few things: (I found some info saying blue=black and brown=white). I hooked those up to their respective posts on the F-N-R switch and controller on post 2 and 3, respectively. There was also a difference in the number of posts on the pot microswitch. Here is what it looks like wired up at present:

The pot didn't come with instructions, but I found in other internet posts to ignore the middle post and hook it up exactly how it was before, however now when I turn it on I get a single green blink, then 3 red lights. Alltrax troubleshoot says this is a HPD warning (high pedal disable).
I understand what that is for and why it won't start, but I don't know how to fix it.
I tested the new pot box again. Resting it is 1, I took off the pedal arm entirely so it's just the pot arm thinking the foot peddle might be pulling on the arm, but still says 1. When I depress the pot arm to WOT it goes up to about 7-8000. Is this pot defective even though its brand new?
All the connections are tight. The batteries and wires and guts are new also. It just won't go anywhere with the HPD warning. Any help?

I can provide more pics/info as needed. Thanks!

Last edited by marfan2003; 08-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: info removed
marfan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Marathon potentiometer problems, HPD with Alltrax

What is your ohm meter set to when you test?
Are you disconnecting the pot wires from the control to test?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In your last pic you show a red wire to the MS at the pot. Is that coming from the F&R micro on the passenger side? Good.
The controller #1 wire should go to the other end of the micro switch (or either end of the yellow wire)

Why are you using a 4 blade control with only 3 blades in use?

I would prefer you don't put my name on this. Follow the diagram and instructions that came with your product. I have never tried to run a 4 blade Alltrax Control on 3 cables nor have I recommended it. I do not know if it will work!?

If you are following a diagram of mine, it is something you found somewhere not something I recommended for this build.
I supplied none of these components or drawings to you.

I just want everyone who reads this to know that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is your ohm meter set to when you test?
Are you disconnecting the pot wires from the control to test?
The ohms are set to 20K. The only wires I disconnected on the pot are the 2nd/3rd tab on the the controller.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
In your last pic you show a red wire to the MS at the pot. Is that coming from the F&R micro on the passenger side? Good.
The controller #1 wire should go to the other end of the micro switch (or either end of the yellow wire)

Yes, the red wire is from the F/R passenger side MS.

Why are you using a 4 blade control with only 3 blades in use?

I got the 4 blade for the plug braking since it was an old series cart, but then the concensus was that it didn't matter anyway and could just not be used.

I would prefer you don't put my name on this. Follow the diagram and instructions that came with your product. I have never tried to run a 4 blade Alltrax Control on 3 cables nor have I recommended it. I do not know if it will work!?

If you are following a diagram of mine, it is something you found somewhere not something I recommended for this build.
I supplied none of these components or drawings to you.

To clarify: I found several diagrams or lists of connections, it seemed these were all viable after asking here. Some diagrams I found were clearer than others. I did not intend to throw anyone under the bus. I just wanted this thing to work.

I just want everyone who reads this to know that.
I am appreciative of all the help I have received so far, regardless of names, all diagrams and second-hand info I have found on my own. If it breaks, I did it.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with Scotty on this... I have never seen a 4 blade Alltrax run on 3 blades.

Maybe try hooking up the A2 from the controller to the A2 from the motor and see if there is any change? you don't have to remove the existing wire on the A2 of the motor, just add the jumper to the controller.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

I thought the A2 blade wasn't really necessary. For the 3 blade, Alltrax recommended to just connect the 2 wires that go to the A2 blade. Right now I have it wired from A2 on the motor to the FNR switch directly and bypassed the A2 blade on the controller. That still wouldn't give me the HPD warning though, right?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

actually it could give you the HPD. If the controller is expecting a signal on the 4th blade and none is present, then you get an error.

When Alltrax reccomends that the A2 be wired straight to the motor, they are talking about in reverse of what you are doing. If you originally had a 4 blade and intend to wire in a 3 blade controller, then you wire the A2 straight to the motor, I don't think it works in reverse when using the Alltrax 4 blade controller though.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

I have the Alltrax diagram for a plug brake model printed off and will wire it up tonight. Let's hope it works! All your help is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
marfan2003
Not Yet Wild

OK, I didn't cut any corners this time. Wired it up EXACTLY how Alltrax has their 4 blade diagram. I'm still getting the HPD code however. Single green blink, then 3 red blinks. Testing the pot I get 4.73 to start and end up at 9.88 with the DVM set to read at 20K ohms.

The only other thing I think of is there is a small plastic bushing that goes to the pedal arm and separates the post from the peddle arm where the cotter pin is and its missing. Would this affect the readings at all?
Here is a picture where the bushing should go:

Is there any way to adjust the pot so it will start at 0 and rise to 5K? Or is this brand new pot a dud?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO