lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
jesseconsopolus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Electric EZGO dead battery issue......

Wanted to start off with a thanks to this forum. Just joined and have already learned a ton of useful information.

Kind of a strange question, We drive the cart all over, running the batteries down before a re-charge like i am supposed to. So when the cart completely dies, (Charge indicator is on the last bar and blinking), the cart will not move at all in forward setting. I mean will not budge. But i flip into reverse and off it goes. I have to drive it all the way home backwards. I have asked numerous dealers and mechanics with no answer. Not a problem at all, at least we make it home to charge it, but why in reverse? Any ideas? Thanks.
jesseconsopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Electric EZGO dead battery issue......

Welcome to BGW

well first thing you NEVER want to run your batteries below 50% charge, which is 36volts, running the batteries below 50% will shorten the life of your batteries, the reason it will run in reverse is because reverse is half power

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
jesseconsopolus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i was told the complete opposite....... charging too soon will mess up the "cycle" of the batteries, so let them go completely dead before re-charging. I have been literally killing the batteries before re-charge. like totally dead. So that is bad? Cart is showing like on the 4th bar from the bottom. I should go ahead and charge it up? I was told the water in the batteries is what killed the life. If the water gets below the plate, air gets on the plate and kills that section of the battery. I have kept an eye on that and all is well. I guess i have alot to learn. Chart helps man. Thank You.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
jesseconsopolus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i should say i am only on the 4th charge total for the cart. hopefully i have not done any damage yet. Meter on the charger shows like 18 when dead, like 4.5 to 5 when charged.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are getting some bad information. Wet cell batteries have no memory and lead plates begin to sulfate when specific gravity drops below 1175. Trojan Battery company tells me their battery can take 700 deep discharges or 5000 shallow.
In some models running until the cart stops will fry the speed control.... Recharge often.

Anytime you are down a bar you can recharge. Get a digital meter for a more accurate reading.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
jesseconsopolus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

dealers around my area are completely retarded. they are the ones who fed me mis-information. geez......guess they wanted to see me in their shops more often. thanks for the great info. i will adjust my charging accordingly. i want a display like you have there scottyb, shows voltage rather than bars. i like it. with a d&d motor and controller on the way, i guess i will need to keep more accurate reading on the batteries from now on.

think i will need one of those switch cams ya got there.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, that's only true for Ni-cad batteries in your kid's RC car. Not so much for deep cycle batteries! I have a new Powerwise QE which is automatic. Mine goes back on the charger even if I took it across the street to have a beer with my neighbor. (100 yrds)

Welcome to BGW!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
Yea, that's only true for Ni-cad batteries in your kid's RC car. Not so much for deep cycle batteries! I have a new Powerwise QE which is automatic. Mine goes back on the charger even if I took it across the street to have a beer with my neighbor. (100 yrds)

Welcome to BGW!

What? My kids got my RC car!? Why that little............

Yeah, people around taught that crap too. An annual discharge test and immediate recharge will suffice for any stratification issues. Other than that recharge after each use of 15-20 minutes or setting idle for 3-4 wks
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
jesseconsopolus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

you guys rock. thanks. saved me some denero in the future.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am gonna assume that the cart in your avatar is your cart....

Following that assumption.....

Since you have already received bad information from your local dealers, I have to ask if those are speakers I am seeing at the roofline?

If they are speakers, did you have a seperate battery installed to run the accessories, did your dealer tap off of 2 batteries, or is there a voltage reducer pulling the power from the entire pack and converting it to the 12 volts you need?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO