lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Digital Volt Meter

It's on it's way ........ Pete

Just to clarify the Trojan Battery co. Does say a maximum discharge of 80% is allowable or recommended BUT when questioned about deep discharges versus shallow discharge with respect to battery useful lifespan, they responded with this chart. Basically what is shows is their battery could handle 700 deep discharges or 5000 shallow discharges. FYI Mathematically speaking, this means if I recharge my batteries everyday, they will last 13.6 years. Check the water often
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life cycle Capture.jpg (122.0 KB, 13 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
i know it is a 36v discussion, but some of us would love to see the 48v info also. pls?
Here is a test that we did with a 48v cart, fully charged.
The trip was done with a GPS and distance covered was 16 miles with the last 1/2 of the trip with the lights on.
The chart starts out just off the float stage of the charger at 52.7v and as you start to drive it quickly bleeds off the surface charge then settles into a steady decline ending at the 3rd light where the test was terminated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of VoltageByLight.jpg (78.5 KB, 21 views)
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

thx. doug.7.5 bars= 70%. 3 bars =50%. that's easy to remember. have both gauges, so will be easy to monitor. when you get down to about 7 bars, it's time to turn around if you don't want to run below 50%, right? great info on how the soc meter works.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you turn around vs power left would also be effected by the path to home.....how smooth/rough and closeness. I always figure with off road 4x4 (which is a lot like carting concerning gas and elec.), I would use 1/3 of my fuel going out...then I had two thirds to get back on and play a bit more on the way back.

I am still seeing the potential for my first cart so I am a bit cautious at this point.....
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
............Mathematically speaking, this means if I recharge my batteries everyday, they will last 13.6 years...........
Actually there is a wee bit more to the equation.
According to the chart, if you only discharge the batteries 12% daily and recharge them daily, they will last approximately 13.7 years. (5000/365)
However, from the same chart, if you discharged the batteries 12% daily, but only recharged them weekly (84% discharge) they would last about 14.4 years. (750/52)

Of course, this does not take into account the physical damage done to the battery's plates when they are deeply discharged and recharged from a deeply discharged state. So you won't actually get longer battery life from charging less often.

I suspect Trojan assumes the batteries are recharged daily, so it is how deeply they are discharged daily that determines the theoretical life span.

Bottom line: Recharge as often as possible and avoid deeply discharging batteries as much as possible for longest battery life. Plus: Keep them clean and watered.

FWIW: The left column of numbers on the chart is % of Discharge, which is the opposite of the State of Charge, the term usually used on BGW when talking about batteries usage and maintenance.
That subtle fact had me going in circles for a couple minutes the first time I saw the chart and I've been reading graphs and crunching numbers most of my 68 years
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, I had to stand on my head to read it the first time
This is all good info' Let us know what the 2 meters side by side read Madoc, of course rach pack will vary a little bit.
Doug's batteries seem quite healthy
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #27
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes, I had to stand on my head to read it the first time
This is all good info' Let us know what the 2 meters side by side read Madoc, of course rach pack will vary a little bit.
Doug's batteries seem quite healthy
Call me when my controller comes in. I want to add something else to the list
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
Call me when my controller comes in. I want to add something else to the list
What controller?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Here is a test that we did with a 48v cart, fully charged.
The trip was done with a GPS and distance covered was 16 miles with the last 1/2 of the trip with the lights on.
The chart starts out just off the float stage of the charger at 52.7v and as you start to drive it quickly bleeds off the surface charge then settles into a steady decline ending at the 3rd light where the test was terminated.
First of all, thank you for your effort in conducting the test, documenting the observations and sharing the results.

The electrolyte stratifies during use (Interface barrier effect or something like that) so the terminal voltage increases as the electrolyte reaches an equilibrium after use terminates.
Were the voltage readings taken the moment each LED turned off, or was the battery allowed to rest for a few minutes to recover?

I'm just curious, the chart would be about the same either way.

Also, was elapsed time and/or distance traveled between each LED going off recorded?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #30
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So.....anyone getting 13 years of use from their batteries? What is the normal time to battery death?
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO