lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
jblank
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 EZGO Marathon possible fuel pump issue?

Just picked up a 1991 EZGO Marathon for $500. Hasn't been used in over a year, battery was dead, was told it "didn't run." Charged the battery, emptied the gas tank, new gas with gas treatment and 10oz of 2 cycle per gallon (that ratio was written on the gas tank...so had to assume it is correct). Obviously the oil injector had been disconnected, and based on what I have read online, common given problems with the supplied unit.

Key on, press pedal, started is rolling engine over with gusto. But won't start. Pulled the spark plug, did my usual "moron" check to see if I'm getting spark and it about knocked me to ground. Slight oil residue in plug hole, but not bad. Cleaned the plug, put back in.

Started looking for fuel pump, and honestly, I don't know anything about vacuum driven units. Noticed the line leading from it to engine is pretty crusty, but can't tell if the cracks (throughout) go all the way through. I realize if so, this could be the problem. Wondering if anyone has any advice/comments on how to progress and troubleshoot from here?

I know that it is possible to get electric fuel pumps pretty easily. Wondering if anyone has used one on one of these? I see they are only 54$ here on BU, but would like to get this thing started today. Thoughts?
jblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 1991 EZGO Marathon possible fuel pump issue?

Remove the fuel line from the carb and add just enough air pressure to the fuel tank to blow fuel out of the hose. sometimes if the pump gets dry the check valves or flaps will stick.
You will probably need to pull the carb and clean it also.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

First, the correct ratio for your premix is 128:1, or ONE ounce of 2-cycle oil per gallon of gas - You're running literally TEN TIMES the oil you should be, so before you go any further, get that straightened out ...

Next, theres exactly one fuel line coming off the carb, pull the line there and turn the cart over, you should be getting a healthy pulse of fuel out of the line (if not, the trick above will work to get it primed), if still nothing then you'll likely be looking at a new pump. As to an electric, yes it will work "sort of" - depending on how bad your existing pump is, it can cause you to possibly bleed crankcase pressure which will keep you from running anyhow, so best bet is to replace the stock one if it's bad (they're right around $32 if you do a little looking) ...

Now, onto the carb, which is a PRIME suspect if the cart has sat for more than a few months. Pull the cables, fuel line, air intake, and remove the carb - here is an exploded diagram in which I have circled the jets that plug up regularly with these - all need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned (pressurized carb cleaner works wonders here) and then of course, the carb reassembled and reinstalled:

These are generally the MINIMUM things you'll need to do to get a cart that's been sitting running again, considerig you have spark (which is a good thing)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OOPS - almost forgot, if you're getting no fuel from the pump, before you order a new one you'll want to check the crank seals (they also go bad and cause a loss of crankcase pressure, which in turn will render even a GOOD fuel pump useless) ... Jack up the back end of the cart so it doesn't run away on you, and while turning it over, spray some WD40 or carb cleaner at the crankshaft where it exits the rear of the engine (between the engine and the clutch) - also spray some while cranking her over into the fan at the front of the motor - if either of these procedures causes the engine to pop or even possibly run a little, then that corresponding crank seal is shot, and NOTHING in the world is going to get that cart running again short of replacing the bad one (which entails engine, clutch and flywheel removal, so best to just plan on doing both if either is bad) ...

Let's hope the carb is just dirty, and/or the cart doesn't want to run on what amounts to the Exxon Valdez in your fuel tank, LOL
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
jblank
Not Yet Wild

Wow...thanks for all the input. Was about to post the picture of the written "note" scribbled in pen on the gas tank for that fuel mixture, but figured you would take my word. Since my post, I pulled the carburetor, cleaned thoroughly and replaced all the worn hoses from gas tank to carb and vacuum line off the engine back. Hit the pedal, and shazzam, it ran...for about 2 days. However, the Exxon Valdez (love it!), oil-rich gas was still in the tank and based on the info you gave me, could be the culprit. I plan to flush the tank, air clean the lines and hope it hasn't gunned the carb so much that I have to tear it down again. Not likely...but hope. Since this last stall out, I have pulled the line off the carb and hit the pedal and the fuel pump seems to pump fine. So it's probably the case of "Valdez Syndrome" you describe, and I will hopefully correct the issue without killing any seals, cod, or seagulls and further escalating our already ridiculous gas prices!

Am I that old, or is it absolutely obscene that we are now paying close to 25$ to fill a 5 gallon gas can? It doesn't seem that long ago I could fill up my car for that! Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I would get that fuel out as soon as possible,Running it that rich could cause a lot of issues(cylinder-glazing,tank-sludge,clogged-muffler,etc...).
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
hbondurant
Not Yet Wild

This model had lots of problems with the float valve sticking. In most carts, the pin is solid brass, but on your model, there is a rubber tip. I am warning all of my customers, not to use gasoline which has ethanol in it. 1. It burns hotter and will cause your rings to fail. 2. The alcohol is not compatible with the rubber fuel lines, fuel pump and the carburetor. Use only a gas that does not have alcohol in it.Here is how you can remove ethanol from gasoline. It is involved, but when you re talking $100,000.00 BOAT RACING ENGINES, you can see why I developed thia method.

1-------Fill the separatory funnel about one-fourth full with water, making sure the stopcock is closed so no liquid flows out the bottom of the funnel. Then fill the funnel to about the half-full point with gasoline using a plastic funnel to prevent spillage during the transfer.

2 Insert the funnel's stopper, then, while holding one finger over the stopper, invert the funnel and shake it two or three times. With the funnel still inverted, rotate the stopcock to the open position to vent any gases or fumes that may have formed.

3 Repeat the shaking and venting process from step 2 two or three additional times.

4 Turn the funnel so that the stopcock is facing down and allow the two layers to separate for 1 to 2 minutes or until two distinct layers become visible.

5 Hold the funnel over a small glass jar, then open the stopcock and allow the bottom water layer to drain into the jar. Label the jar "water/ethanol" with an adhesive label. Then pour the gasoline layer out through the top of the flask into a second glass jar labeled "gasoline."

6 Add about 1 gram of anhydrous magnesium sulfate powder to the jar containing the gasoline and swirl for 30 seconds. The magnesium sulfate will absorb any water that may still be mixed with the gasoline and form a solid clump in the bottom of the jar.

Place a piece of filter paper in a glass funnel and place the funnel on top of an empty glass jar. Slowly pour the gasoline through the filter paper. The filter paper will catch any solid pieces of magnesium sulfate. The jar should now contain gasoline that is free of both ethanol and water.

Read more: How to Remove Ethanol From Gasoline | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7830109_remo...#ixzz1zKpuv571
hbondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
jblank
Not Yet Wild

The guy at Lowe's just sold me an additive designed to combat the issues with ethanol rich gas. He said that the issue you are talking about here is huge with all the lawn and garden 2 cycle gear being sold. I'm sure your method is far more effective, but thought I would throw that in there.

Here's a link to a similar product called Starbrite Startron. Just one of dozen's out there.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/mm5/g...-93008_med.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STR-93008_med.jpg (34.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
M109
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bump for latter
M109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO